Planted tank substrate advice??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samahabou

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey aquatic people I'm a newbie for the planted tank and I just recently think about starting a small project 5 gallon bowfront tank as I'm not sure if it works or not but I went to my local store to pick up Eco complete substrate as I heard its good product so I didn't find any and I end up with flora max which seems okey but my question can I use it as the only substrate in the tank or I have to top it up with gravel as I heard the substrate to light and it won't hold the plants but not sure I'm Ganna try to post pictures of my process so u guys and girls can let me know if I did it right or wrong I did little research but I guess it wasn't enough so I'm here for little help.

You can certainly use flora max as your only substrate. I used it for over a year and a 29 gallon with pretty good results. One tip, rinse it out three or four times under the tap to get the muddy most residue out of it. You don't want to rinse it until it's completely clear as you'd lose too many cleating agents but if you don't rinse it some it will take forever for your tank to clear.
Note that flora max doesn't have much nutrients in it by itself but is made to absorb the nutrients from fish wastes and fertilizers making it accessible to the plant roots. It is wise to place root tabs here and there in the substrate to help jumpstart the nutrients cycle. Hope this helps, OS.

Check out my thread, i do belive it is called "Two Questions" it will helpyou! It did me!

I appreciate ur help @old scales I did the steps and I came out with a good result the water so clear and I was surprised.

Back
Top Bottom