Planted tank substrate ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeshyRee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok guys this is my first post here! I think this is the right place? So here's the deal I've torn my 14gal down and am starting it back as a planted. I'm wanting to try a 2 tone type of substrate with both sand and gravel. I don't want them mixed just in a neat design. Has anyone done this? Would you mind showing me your pics?

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fluval substrate

744148DSC04583.jpg

247070DSC04588.jpg

Thank you!

I helped a guy a while back setting up a tank with gravel substrate but he made "rivers" with sand and plastic dividers. Not sure how it ended up as it was quite a while ago and I haven't seen pics since then but it was looking amazing when it was in the works. This is the pic I posted for his inspiration.

meandering_amazon_(c)_WWF-Canon__Andre_Bartschi.jpg

I have seen people with dark colored sand on the outsides. and lighter colored on the inside or vice versa creating a multi colored substrate. But I always figured after time it will blend. Especially when you have a planted tank you will be moving the sand around a lot. But I have seen it.

That's exactly the type of thing I'm shooting for! I just started here's how it's going so far.

Attachments

• 1389309430137.jpg
    1389309430137.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 1389309463735.jpg
    1389309463735.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 152
Very nice looking. Here's a trick though, instead of a straight line for the sand river make it into a shape that is more like this / \ as it will give Tue illusion of depth.

Working at it lol. I don't have any rock on to cap the dirt yet so its not wanting to stay place very well. Plants should be here in a day or to will try to update then.

I would swap out the background too, either paint it or stick on. A black one really looks cool with plants. Pops the colours of everything in the tank. As Mebbid suggested with the layout and sense of depth, this will further enhance that look. You want your eye drawn to the plants/fish not the colourful background....

Ok how and what? I'm what you could pretty much call a newbie lol

Oops sorry the floss. I'm turning the background around it's black on the other side

Oops sorry the floss. I'm turning the background around it's black on the other side

The floss, you can buy big bags of it online or craft/hobby stores. A few dollars will get you a bag that should do you months/years. You can also use pillow stuffing, just make sure any floss you use is brand new(not just washed!) and is 100% polyfil, no additives/fire retardants etc.....
It comes 'loose' or on a roll. Just pop it in the filter and remove and replace it when it gets dirty.....

Sweet! Thanks I'll definitely do that!

I helped a guy a while back setting up a tank with gravel substrate but he made "rivers" with sand and plastic dividers. Not sure how it ended up as it was quite a while ago and I haven't seen pics since then but it was looking amazing when it was in the works. This is the pic I posted for his inspiration.

meandering_amazon_(c)_WWF-Canon__Andre_Bartschi.jpg

The problem with that, is that you need to be a pro while cleaning to don't mess up the layout... Saw videos on youtube, like James Findley, he did it with plastic separators...

Back
Top Bottom