Planted Turtle Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sebastion

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a pet painted turtle and would like to put a couple plants in his 40 gallon tank. I'd prefer something that it would grow on it's own without my attention. Im gonna put some java moss, but I want to know what type of plants are sturdy enough to stand the attack of a turtle, or is resourceful enough to survive with him. He destroyed my last plants (idk what they were just some petsmart ones), but now I have a 20 gallon bigger of a tank so he will have more room. Also as a side note is a magnum h.o.t. Strong enough for a 37 gallon tank?

Plan on anything going in a turtle tank as being food for the turtle eventually.

I would do a lot more than a Magnum on a turtle tank.

That doesn't change anything. It is still a turtle. Never plan for now, plan for adulthood.

Also I will have a filter from my old tank tetra fauna recommended for 15 gallon

Since Painted Turtles are omnivores, anything you put in there is going to be food, as was already stated. Is this a fully aquatic tank, or is it a true turtle tank - terrestral with some water for it to get in? IME Painted Turtles do not spend a lot of time swimming, and without adequate spots to get out of the water, they will exhaust themselves and die. They are also extremely messy and can foul a tank very quickly. Plan on daily water changes in addition to whatever filtration system you are adding to the tank, and as was stated you need to plan a lot of filtration!

Ya, I understand how to take care of turtles, ha them since I was 8.(6 years). He has a place made out of bricks and slate. The lamp us about 8 inches away from his basking spot. And there are fish circling him for food. I'm thinking of getting a gravel vacuum to help water changes and stall full cleaning. As for filtration I'm using recomended 55 gallon magnum h.o.t. And recommended 15 gallon tetrafauna filter, and drops to help create bacteria to eat wastes Also sorry about multiple posts I just learned how to edit

No need to add the bacteria, once the tank is cycled they are there.

What lighting do you have exactly? What exact brand and bulb?

I have a western painted turtle, and I will tell you the lamp brand when I get home

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom