planting a 29 gallon high after cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok so i just picked up a 29 gallon high today and plan on planting it in the future. my stock will be;
6-bleeding heart tetras,
1-bolivian or german blue ram,
1-angelfish,
6-juli corys.
so right now i have rocks stacked going down about the middle of my aquarium (bolivian or blue ram will love it and so will the corys).so i was thinking maybe some amazon swords behind that just coverying the back, but after that i dont know. i know my angel will need swimming room so probably need mostly small plants and maybe large or mediums on the sides? i have 1 fluorescent bulb is that good for plants or what do i need? id like low light plants. what else do i need for plants? i have a sand substrate. i would also like a floating plant. last thing will my bolivian or blue ram destroy these plants, or any of my other plants, and is there a way to prevent this maybe putting some rocks on top of roots?

thanks alot this is just my second aquarium and i plan on cycling before adding anything :)

Have you had bleeding hearts before? They will need more swimming room then our angel fish will. A tall tank isnt really for speedy tetras.

For your plants I dont really know anything about plants but my fake ones look good:p

it's a high tank but it's aldo 30" long so it's good for them ppl put them in 10's and 20's which are much smaller.

allaboutfish said:
it's a high tank but it's aldo 30" long so it's good for them ppl put them in 10's and 20's which are much smaller.

Just because they do it doesn't mean it's good for the fish and how tall is your tank 18" and 16" wide?

Go to aqadviser.com it will help will your stocking also in my 29 I have two gourmies three kribs two GBR two sae and an upside-down catfish. Sorry about not putting in commas on that sentence but it's late here and I have to work tomorrow morning lol. PetsmRts staff say I have lots of room lol I dont know about that though. My water parameters are all smack on and my fish all have there own territories

ok saying your right and i need a bigger aquarium what are some better tetras or other south american fish that are too big to fit in an angelfish's mouth and is not a fin nipper and stays in the middle of the aquarium and are common

Go to aqadviser.com it will help will your stocking also in my 29 I have two gourmies three kribs two GBR two sae and an upside-down catfish. Sorry about not putting in commas on that sentence but it's late here and I have to work tomorrow morning lol. PetsmRts staff say I have lots of room lol I dont know about that though. My water parameters are all smack on and my fish all have there own territories

i actually i use aqadvisor alot and it approved, but im open to any mid to top swimming fish in south america that will go with my stocking

I do t know where they are from but you cod try some hatchet fish, and ive been thinking you tank would be fine as long as you have open space and it not all filled up with rocks and also try to put your plants near the edge of you aquarium

Here is a list of plants that won't require any special lighting or additional CO2 Low Light Plants
I just added my first live plants and found that makes things much easier if you trim the roots. As well as making them easier to plant this is supposed to encourage the roots to grow down into the substrate.

You could through in a couple I guess. I personally don't like snails but they do help with the cleanup

allaboutfish said:
ok saying your right and i need a bigger aquarium what are some better tetras or other south american fish that are too big to fit in an angelfish's mouth and is not a fin nipper and stays in the middle of the aquarium and are common

Your tank is going to be just fine for the BH tetras, and it sounds like you have a good plan for the setup and IMO you should stick with it. As for Aqadvisor, they're good for bouncing ideas off, but they're not the the last word by any means. Below is a link to the BHT's and the only thing I can suggest is pics are a must :D.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+890+906&pcatid=906

That coloring is really nice finding one like that might be hard dependig on were you from. Our bleeding hearts don't have the orange on the dorsal and not a red in the body. The anal fin look about the same though

i always do ALOT of research on my fish now just to make sure everybody will get along. i find peteducation.com a good site to find tank sizes and recomendations.

I don't really believe everything your read on the Internet. One sight said my German blue rams would get 6 inchs hahahahahhaha. You need to get the info from a bunch of sits and then average it out IMO

darn even with dense vegetation? id really like a cleaner in my tank, but i cant add anymore fish, and snails eat plants.

Back
Top Bottom