Planting a new plant, is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wild

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I bought my first plant yesterday, a few small pieces of Wisteria. I cleaned off the few brown leaves, and made sure the roots were clean then I put them into my gravel. The roots were a nice white.

Now at the joints(not sure what to call them) of the stems, where there were white roots coming out, they are turning black.

I am not dosing anything, and only have 5 small danios in there.

Is the normal for a newly planted plant? I figured moving isn't the easiest but I wasn't expecting it to turn black...

Any help is appreciated!

Hi not heard of this before:nono: the white shoots are normal,but not heard of them turning black? May just be adjusting to your tank?

How much light do you have? The stems of stem-type plants like wisteria will melt if not provided enough light.

I'd say dying from poor water quality or insufficient lighting.... but then the leaves would be dying too... Never had that problem. I have some brown roots intertwined with white.

Just the stock lighting, a 8000k daylight spectrum. I was told that'd be enough for wisteria.

And the leaves are perfectly fine. No browning at all. So far at least.

just leave it and see how it does. it should perk up after it gets it's roots adjusted a bit.

36 gallon.
I'm not sure what kind it is, where do they usually print that? It is what ever Aqueon puts in their kits.

Oh and it hasn't got any worse. And still no browning. But it isn't turning white either.

squishy? not really.
The white roots are firm and feel lie they are alive, while the black tips just bend and have no strength.

2 days in the tank, the black tips are still there, no worse.
The plants kinda started to brown but only on a few leaves on a few of the plants.

If they haven't died by now can i assume they survived the move? :lol:

are they putting out new growth? i would say yes, but keep an eye out for more brownings.

Back
Top Bottom