Planting advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peggaweng

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

I will be getting some more plants at the weekend and wanted advice on planting them. I have read that it is best to remove the pots and cotton then plant directly into the gravel. My gravel is quite fine so I think this should be ok?

I have a fighter, Ancistrus, guppies, neon tetra, and rummy nose. Are there any particular plants you would recommend?

Thanks in advance

Gary.

The fine gravel will probably be even better, a little more solid for the roots to take hold I would think. As for plant recommendations I couldn't tell you.

+1 for removing the plants from the pots and rock wool and planting them in the gravel. Potting plants encourages their root structure to grow and keeps the roots safe during transport. The pots are intended to be removed.

Bettas love plants with big leaves. My bettas like to lie on the leaves of my big java fern and my anubias. Those are both low-light plants and will grow in most any tank.

What lighting do you have? Knowing your tank's light levels will help with plant recommendations.

Some new plants. :)

Need to remove my fighter :( it is nipping my guppies :( badly

Attachments

• image-4228960218.jpg
    image-4228960218.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 352
  • image-3384213176.jpg
    image-3384213176.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 349
  • image-737169662.jpg
    image-737169662.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 333
mgamer20o0 said:
i see at least one plant that isnt aquatic in there. might be 2 of them.

Which ones? They all came from an aquarium shop????

Which ones? They all came from an aquarium shop????

I can't identify for you, but fish/pet stores very often sell non-aquatic plants and market them as being fully aquatic. It just reinforces that you need to be educated about your purchase before you get there. ;)

There are 2 varigated species in the middle that aren't aquatic plants. You should take those out. they may last a couple of months at best submerged, but they will eventually rot and die and pollute the water.

Check out plantgeek.net. There is a section under the plant guide that identifies non aquatic plants that are often sold as aquatic.

Thank you all for your advice :) that will teach me for trusting an aquarium shop eh!!!!

I will read up and remove the non aquatic plants asap.

You are welcome... by the way, besides the non-aquatics, BEAUTIFUL TANK!

:) thank you. Not bad for a beginner then. I am so disappointed with the shop though! I am in there all the time and stupidly trusted them.... You live and learn :)

they may not even know their selfs. they normally turn them over faster then they break down.

When I first started, I bought a plant from Pet Smart. When I returned it, the Manager said that she knew about it not being a true aquatic, but that it would survive for at least half a year. That is why they still sell it.

The funny thing is, at my Petsmart, we also, among the fish books, sell 2 books on aquarium plants and planted aquariums. One of them is called The 101 Best Aquarium Plants, and at the end it lists about 30 or so species that stores will sell you that won't survive in aquariums...haha.

Edit: Love books, so another one I could recommend is Mini Encyclopedia: Aquarium Plants.

One of the things I noted when I decided to get my 1st plants (at Petsmart) is that there were stickers on most of the plants that said "semi-aquatic" so I asked about that. The guy there seemed to understand my concern and said a Java Fern would be a good beginner plant. I assume that "semi-aquatic" would be better for a terrarium vs an aquarium.

When and if you pick up a java fern... DO NOT BURY it in anything.. you will kill the rhizome. Instead attach in some manner to a piece of driftwood or a rock. Sewing thread works fine and rots off by the time the plant has grown roots to anchor itself.. Bill in Va. or check out a site titled usafishbox dot com.. plenty of VERY experienced hobbiest on there too... I'm still checking this site out and hope to learn more and offer up what I do know. Bill Still in Va.

Back
Top Bottom