planting dwarf hair grass.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the proper way to plant dhg? Will it spread better from sodlike clumps or sprigs of half a dozen spaced apart?
My first go at it was wrong i believe.

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

Ok. I just figured on second thought that getting a carpet effect would be quicker with many small groups rather than fewer large clumps. Am i right in assuming this?

Yes, but those clumps are already pretty close together. You could certainly break it up if you wanted to, but you'll experience diminishing returns on how much quicker it carpets vs how much time you need to spend planting/replanting that many plantlets.

I wanted to give a quick update on my dhg. Even though my bnp and panda's are constantly rooting around the grass is really starting to carpet. I think I'm gonna remove the plants in the middle foreground and let the dhg do it's thing. I'm open to criticism and,or ideas..?

Attachments

• ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 340
With as well as the DHG is spreading I think removing those stem plants from the front area would be a definite plus. Then tank overall tho is looking good.

Yeah those plants gotta go. Originally they were only 1/2" tall and labeled fore to midground! Lol
Thanks for the input and compliment rc:)

Yeah those plants gotta go. Originally they were only 1/2" tall and labeled fore to midground! Lol

I use stem plants like that close to the forground or places I want accented, you just have to keep them trimmed. Just did that today with some. I'm sure you could find a place for them in the rear, then you could let them grow almost to the surface, which is what I do with my back stem plants.

Cichlid Kid said:

Is that Rotala Wallicii?

Sorry for the wait.
It's a 20gal long with 30" dual ho t-5 lights, black Tahitian moon sand, dw and slate.
I alternate diy co2 every 2 weeks with 2-2liter bottles and my average bps is about .75
I dose API co2 boost, API leaf zone and root tabs per directions. Filtration is an aquaclear 50 and an aquatech 10-20 thats used to diffuse the co2. I keep nitrates around 15-20 with 1 pwc a week at 30%.

Attachments

• ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 123
I should have stated also that the only plants i can positively i.d. are the java fern, dhg and giant hygrophila "stricta" i believe.
I'm not sure about these guys.

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

Tank is looking good and DHG seems to be spreading nicely. The plants look like Wendtii. I was going to say green but I see some leaves in the back with bronze undersides so if there is only two plants there and if the undersides of the leaves are a dark bronze color they are Crypt Wendtii Bronze.

Yep. The one in the back turned a deep bronze shortly after planting it and the ones in the front are starting to turn darker on the edges. They were originally light green. Is the color changes an indication of something? I like the contrast in colors from the wendtii and dhg though. I also wanted to ask if c. wendtii is a plant that needs heavy root ferts like swords do, and also will they tend to stay in the tufts or clumps they grow in or do they spread?

Crypt are root feeder so using root tabs is a good idea. Obviously if the crypts came in light green they were either lacking some nutrient or was in some kind of odd light. They will also just keep expanding making the clump get larger and larger. Recently I had to remove 2 crypts and break up a couple other Wendtii ones. You can also trim off leaves just like on swords if you need to.

Great info, thanks. I think I'm gonna keep updating this thread with progress and photos, if for any other reason because i beat bba "which imo is no small endeavor" and its my first planted tank thats thriving not merely surviving.

I think it's a good idea because it show people how it's done and show how a tank progresses through the process.

I agree.
Truth be told i couldn't have done it without the help of alot of you on this site. I've had aquariums all my life and always felt like something was missing "plants" specifically. The knowledge I've absorbed since being a member of AA is tremendous. My next project is a 40gal breeder low tech.

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

Back
Top Bottom