Planting observations.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alan79

Aquarium Advice Freak
Over the course of about 2-3 months i have slowly added to my plant collection. Before this time i would usually just buy a plant occasionally that would die. I really did some research about planted tanks and how to make them work when i signed up here so i'm slowly starting to see patterns emerging with growth (and growth this time around). I usually add plants with intervals to let new plants get established. I have observed that some plants seem to grow like weeds until others are added then occasionally a freshly added plant will start growing like it's on steroids and leaving the others for dust.

My top three plants for weekly growth at the moment are Ludwigia (probably repens) Cabomba and Pennywort. I first added Cabomba and Ludwigia at the same time. The Cabomba was showing superb growth until the Ludwigia began to grow immersed leaves and for a long time i needed to trim the ludwigia weekly. The Cabomba slowed down when Ludwigia established. I just added Pennywort though and it has exploded and slowed the Ludwigia right down again. Cabomba is growing very quickly now since Pennywort got added. I did trim back a lot of larger leaves from the Ludwigia (due to algae and for the appearance of a smaller leaved plant) so it mostly has young leaves that aren't full sized yet. It may fight back when it grows large leaves again. I should also add that dwarf chain sword had exploded with runners until my Comet ate 11 runners in one day.

Anyway thats my observations after a few months of trying to grow plants as opposed to adding one plant occasionally to brighten the tank. Has anyone else witnessed similar patterns with plants? What grows well for you and what plants do you think inhibit the growth of others?

It's possible that your changes in plant growth have to do with available nutrients. Do you fertilize your tanks regularly?

I would imagine that it would go something like this: Plant X is limited by plant Y. Plant Z limits Plant Y but not X.

Plants will absorb different amounts of nutrients so I see that as the most logical reason for why plants change their growth rates on introduction of other plants.

It's possible that your changes in plant growth have to do with available nutrients. Do you fertilize your tanks regularly?

I would imagine that it would go something like this: Plant X is limited by plant Y. Plant Z limits Plant Y but not X.

Plants will absorb different amounts of nutrients so I see that as the most logical reason for why plants change their growth rates on introduction of other plants.

I add API leaf zone and root tabs for plants that need them. I have no test kit for anything aside from nitrate, nitrite and ammonia so i don't know how everything else is balanced. I agree though. I guess that seeing which plant limits others i can see what uses more nutrients and maybe learn what plants need which specific nutrients to thrive. I am happy with the slower growth of my Ludwigia. My groves got thick very quickly when it was dominating. It's good to see the Cabomba getting thick again too. Everything else i have are slow growers.

Back
Top Bottom