Planting Plants in soil- what a mess!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJax

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am trying to set up a 26-gallon npt. I bought clay-based aquatic soil (which I washed 1st), and planted some plants. I need more plants, so I ordered some on-line (better selection than Petco). Because I want more plants, I didn't put the gravel cover over my soil. I DID install the heater and filter to help clear the murky water. Well, the new filter has been on 24 hours and my tank is so murky! YUCK!!
Assuming the gravel level will cure the murkiness, HOW ON EARTH to I ever add more plants w/o creating a murky disaster??? As it is, I'm considering tossing the whole thing in favor of a gravel-only set-up.:nono:

What kind of soil did you use? A cap will keep soil down, but it can be a mess if it gets uncovered. I usually just put a 2+" cap on my dirt, stick the plants in shallow and just let the plants find the dirt themselves.

I used "Espoma 'Soil Perfector' all-natural water garden soil". It is made up of fired clay.

I'm thinking of adding black sand as a cap, so it won't be as obvious if I disturb it.

It may be messy, but I absolutely love my red clay plant based substrate!! Here's a few things that helped me out. I have an under gravel filter- not only does it help clear the water it gives roots a place to anchor down. I have a 10g planted, so it's a constant cycle, but once you have roots that are woven together you have an excellent added filtration system built on beneficial bacteria and aquaculture. I killed my original filter clearing the murk. I found using 2 filters that were rated for 30g, one running biofilter and nitrifying bacteria sponge, and the other running biofilter and active carbon (based on my tank being a 10g) cleared my tank within a few hours when I gave up and started again. I've also noticed (other than my freak tank crash last week) that once your tank has a chance to gain beneficial bacteria there isn't a problem with any murk when planting and even adding more substrate- Don't give up- the silver lining is just around the corner

Back
Top Bottom