Planting plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Can I ask how people plant stem plants in gravel? The ones we get usually have no roots, just a cutting - so I try and put the stems between two fingers and push into gravel and then kind of rake gravel around before it can float off. Then hope!

I had been using the filter wool they were wrapped in to bury with them. That kinds of works but trying to reduce on this. Thanks :)

Personally, I use planting tongs to push mine in the substrate. The biggest convenience I've bought for my tank so far. You could use tweezers, but just be careful not to smash the stem.

Personally, I use planting tongs to push mine in the substrate. The biggest convenience I've bought for my tank so far. You could use tweezers, but just be careful not to smash the stem.

Thanks, good idea - I tried tweezers but did have trouble as I was reaching too far and they were tricky trying not to squeeze too tight!

Thanks, good idea - I tried tweezers but did have trouble as I was reaching too far and they were tricky trying not to squeeze too tight!

I found a pair of cheapo tweezers that worked perfectly. I could squeeze them as hard as I wanted but since they were cheap they would bend and flatten together rather than pinch hard enough at the end to break the stems.

I must admit I used a good metal set from the bathroom. That's a good idea as well, I'll have a look around.

I also have driftwood I can tie some to on the back end of the driftwood so it is hidden - maybe with cotton thread or rubber bands? Would that be ok with the fish? I've looked at but not sure what is safe and if fishing line might be a problem?

Both cotton string and rubber bands are perfectly safe to use but they will eventually dissolve. Fishing line is safe as well and will last longer.

Back
Top Bottom