Planting roots for stater Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Breath

Aquarium Advice Regular
I received a bag full of different roots from a guy who was breaking down his 75 gal fully planted tank he said to just plant them in dirt in pots and put them into a tank and they should come up. I forgot to ask him if it had to be a established tank or not. I have an extra 40 gal tank I am going to set up to try to row out all these roots well lots anyways as there are to many fo the tank I have. My question is if I set up this tank from scratch. I haven no CO2 I plan on using soil in pots and plan on filling the tank half full Do I need to run anything in this tank for circulation or for air or any type of filtration or can i just fill it with water add fertilizers and lots of light.Also will I need to add a heater or will it be ok at room temp approx 65 to 70 F the soil I plan on using is reg top soil for the garden I am doing this just to get the roots started into plants but don't want to put any money into it as this was just a though to do this because the guy was just going to throw these roots out so I thought I'd see if I could get some plants out of them without putting any money into them as I did have this extra tank and do have heater and filter if neccesarry (prefer not to use them but would if I had to) I also have an extra power head if needed or could be put to use (I would Prefer this to use over the others But I don't know what the plants need
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

What kind of roots are they?

Adding top soil lots of light and fertilizers sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

they are a crypto something and a bunch of I don't knows sorry I know it doesn't sound good but they were going into the garbage until I rescued them
What is the right recipe with costs Rember these were just going into the garbage I palnted all the good ones in my Community tank I just trying to salvage these at little or no expense and I did have an extra aquarium around and compact flourecent

If they are Crypts I would just put them in a tank with some basic type of substrate, just barely placing them under the surface and see if they sprout.

yeah crypts don't need a lot of light or fertilization. if anyting, put a root tab under each plant to keep it from melting.

Ok what type of substrate (cheap one) the guy I got them off suggested topsoil for cheap Also what is a root tab I obviously know nothing about plants {Can you tell !!!!!} :oops: this tank is just to grow the plants it is in the basement and not a tank that will be seen or on display for anyone to see

You could use any type of cheap, small sized substrate. The plain pea-gravel sold at PetsMart would be okay, coarse sand would be great.

Do I need to run a filter on this tank does it need heat I have an extra of each of these I also have air pumps and stones if and a powerhead if I don't need to filter Or Maybe I don't need any of these

Back
Top Bottom