Planting vallisneria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Have read that when planting vals, you should only plant the roots in the substrate, not the crown. How do you do this as it seems to want to float and uproot?

I also read that Flourish Excel will melt it. Any opinions on that? I have no co2.

Thanks!

i try to make a hole for it, push the roots down and then put some substrate on top of it and pack it in a bit. Excel will melt vals and anacharis, although I've not had it happen with mine (that I've noticed anyway). I don't dose excel anymore though.

That's pretty much how I plant it too. I use a heavy dosing of Glutaraldehyde which is the same as Excel and I've never had any melting issues with my Corkscrew Vals.

I also planted mine the same way, as I also found they kept uprooting and floating. I also dosed Excel for a good month before I added C02 and I never had it melt. In fact, it sprouted runners and now I have almost doubled the amount of them I had when I started! Each plant has made at least one runner which usually that plant also has a runner. Slow growth, though. I stopped dosing Excel too. I do however dose it once in awhile and they are never effected. Just dont dose it directly over the vals, but in a spot a little ways from them so it doesnt come in direct contact.

Back
Top Bottom