Plantlife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CluelessInNY

Aquarium Advice Activist
I didn't start this hobby with the intent to add plants to my tank, but as I see others' tank pictures, I have to admit I might want to add a couple of live plants to my tank.
I have a very modest little 20-gallon with 10 snails, two blue-legged hermits, a clown, a yellow goby, and a firefish. My lighting is defeinitely not adequate for plantlife and I know NOTHING about tending to a plant.

Any suggestions on a nice starter plant? It can be anything. I want to add a new challenge to my tank, not to mention some color and life to a boring little setup :) Feather duster? Will the critters eat it?
What kind of lights do I need? Special food?

My tank is only 4 months old, btw.

There`s not much out there for plant life in the SW tank. A feather duster is a worm. What type plants are you seeing out in others tanks? Macro algeas are out there but can over run your tank. Mangroves are out there.

I browsed on Live Aquaria. Com and I saw marine plants.. I didnt realize people used them for SW that much... There is one called madiens hair, very cool for 30.00...I wouldnt get it b/c I know my fish will just nibble and eat it all up evenutally. Maybe its good for a coral reef setup with no, or 1-2 fish

There are many marine algae's available (macroalgae); however, some may require intense flow or virtually nil, high light or low light...variable differences here. I would first start by telling us what your tank consists of, mainly what type of filtration (water flow), lighting, and substrate? What about pH, Alk, and Ca levels?...just for starters :)

Hmmm, I think my lack of knowledge is showing!
I think I meant anemone, polyps, corals, living stationary critters for the tank...not necessarily plant life. What makes a good starter critter?

So you are talking about inverts. What kind of lighting do you have? I think easy corals are mushrooms, button poylps and zoas (these are all hitch hikers in my 55G), with the exception of the mushrooms (I haven't done anything with them and they are growing like crazy).

Back
Top Bottom