Plants advice needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NexVobis

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i had ludwigia (repens) in my background but it began to slowly die. I've unplanted them and them them float along with some water wisteria. Is it ok to leave them like that it will I eventually have to put them pack in the substrate? My tetras and discus seem to like them as free floating plants. Noticed it was a light problem because now that they're closer to the light a few stems have begun to sprout roots. Other than that my anubias and swords are doping really good!

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I'm using reg 4' shop lights. Thinking of going t5 or t8

You probably won't get a huge improvement over t12 by going t8, they are basically interchangeable. Although if the t12 is really old then a newer fixture with a new ballast and bulbs could be significantly better.

For your setup I'd likely go with a 2 bulb t5ho and call it a day.

jetajockey said:
You probably won't get a huge improvement over t12 by going t8, they are basically interchangeable. Although if the t12 is really old then a newer fixture with a new ballast and bulbs could be significantly better.

For your setup I'd likely go with a 2 bulb t5ho and call it a day.

Ok, thanks. Yes it is an older light -_-

Floating plants are popular with my fish too. The closer you can get them to the light the better for the plants. Of course you don;t want them so close the burn the leaves. If I could get bunched plants to root, I'd have a bunch.

Wroberson said:
Floating plants are popular with my fish too. The closer you can get them to the light the better for the plants. Of course you don;t want them so close the burn the leaves. If I could get bunched plants to root, I'd have a bunch.

Yeah I'm gonna see if they root so I can cut them and start rooting them

Back
Top Bottom