plants and Africans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christine2012

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'd like to try my hand at plants sometime soon. I would probably do something potted since my dudes dig SO MUCH. Is there anything you guys have had success with besides Java moss (which I will be adding once my DW is waterlogged. ) ? Thanks in advance!

Hi! Most people with African stick with java fern or Anubais, most everything else turns into a snack :)

Agreed stick with Anubias or Java Fern. That sound be ok. I have a planted 75g African Cichlid tank with tons of Anubias but after sometime now they are becoming a target of some heavy duty nipping. It looked good for months. Ow I think my plants have seen better days.

Yeah that's what I figured. We went to get filter media and saw 10 gals on sale. ;) My husband might have MTS so now we have set up this little 10 for plants and probably shrimp. Do I need to cycle before adding plants?

christine2012 said:
Yeah that's what I figured. We went to get filter media and saw 10 gals on sale. ;) My husband might have MTS so now we have set up this little 10 for plants and probably shrimp. Do I need to cycle before adding plants?

I don't believe you have to cycle before plants. I've read a few times that it actually helps cycle the tank. I know there are a few things to understand about cycling a planted tank something about I your plants feed off ammonia. I'm not a real planted guy sorry...

Hopefully more experienced planted tank hobbyists will chime in but I do believe you can cycle with your tank planted.

Convict2161 said:
I don't believe you have to cycle before plants. I've read a few times that it actually helps cycle the tank. I know there are a few things to understand about cycling a planted tank something about I your plants feed off ammonia. I'm not a real planted guy sorry...

Hopefully more experienced planted tank hobbyists will chime in but I do believe you can cycle with your tank planted.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom