Plants and nitrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antimoine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok.. So I've decided to use plants to get nitrates down.

I already have the onion looking like plant and a few others with stringy leafs but i"d like a few suggestion on good plants to get nitrates down.

Thanks in advance

If you want to lower nitrates, using plants, it is best togo with fast growers, such as hornwort, anacharis, vals, and the dreaded duckweed.

In line with BillD's recommendation, most stem plants are good for nitrate absortion. One thought comes to mind and that is what is your level of nitrates? Is your tank fully cycled?

Nitrate level is around 5 but I won't sleep until I get it to 0.
Tank is fully cycled (It's a 2 years old tank).

I was also told that plants with long roots would help as well (Bamboo?)
I'll go and take a look at those suggestions.

My plan is to make that tank as independant as possible...

Good thing I asked. There is nothing wrong with having that level. 20ppm is not a problem. The other issue is, plants will need nitrate to grow and stay healthy. 5ppm will be used up pretty quickly and cause your plants to suffer.

Ok so adding plants is not going to bring it to 0 but it's going to affect the plants?
Good thing you asked indeed.

Now adding fishes will bring the nitrate up right ?

I'll have to keep an eye open to watch as i plan on adding fishes then.

Adding plants will bring it to zero, which is bad.

Indeed, plants require a constant minimum level of 10ppm of nitrate to stay healthy. Adding more livestock will bring it up.

Jchillin said:
Adding plants will bring it to zero, which is bad.

Indeed, plants require a constant minimum level of 10ppm of nitrate to stay healthy. Adding more livestock will bring it up.

I have learned that the hard way. My planted tank is constantly at 0 nitrates and some various types of algae have taken advantage. I will begin dosing nitrate very soon (waiting for a paycheck :D ) While plants are effective at lowering nitrates, algae will attack if you do not provide all the nutrients your plants need to grow. As I said, I learned that the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom