Plants and powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NativeTank7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was just curious. I'm thinking about picking up a power head to my 55 gallon when I get it set up planted and I was curious if it has any effects on plants. Do plants like current? Where should it be placed or should I even get one. Your opinions are welcome :)

I have a koralia nano 240 in my 60g and despite the "nano" in it's name, this thing blows around enough stuff in my 60 lol. I use it just to blow the CO2 micro bubbles around and I have it on the left side wall pointing up a bit and to the back wall so it blows the swords around a bit and it makes a cool ripple on the water...I think some plants like the current am others don't, just don't point it directly at a plant...

I have one in my 60 more for surface agitation. I doubt the plants will mind unless they're wildly blowing around lol. A little more flow will keep crap from settling too :)

I use the Korolia 240's also. Plants actually do best if they sway slightly due to a current. This not only helps keep detris from settling on the leaves but also helps carry nutrients and CO2 to plants.

+1 on the Koralia's. I have 2 425's in my 40b and they're great. Nice current without thrashing plants around.

Back
Top Bottom