Plants and sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I do a planted tank with sand? If so what kind of prep do i need to do and what types of plants would i be able to grow?

You sure can grow plants in sand. I would recommend cleaning the sand thoroughly. Next, it really depends on the size of your tank and lights you're going to use to determine your plants. I would also use root tabs to provide nutrients to the plants since sand is inert.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You sure can grow plants in sand. I would recommend cleaning the sand thoroughly. Next, it really depends on the size of your tank and lights you're going to use to determine your plants. I would also use root tabs to provide nutrients to the plants since sand is inert.

+1 sand is perfectly fine but root tabs will help with keeping nutrients in the substrate.

Caleb

Sand is great! Easy to clean, natural looking. I like black blasting sand, or pool filter sand. The best thing about sand it it won't break the bank. A 50lb bag is around 5 bucks!

Sand is great! Easy to clean, natural looking. I like black blasting sand, or pool filter sand. The best thing about sand it it won't break the bank. A 50lb bag is around 5 bucks!

Often times when you buy sand like that though be prepared for diatoms because of the silicates in the sand.

Caleb

I use sand in my tank...looks pretty good!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm using Eco Complete substrate. With one 17w T8 bulb (I know it's not a low but my hood only hold one bulb)

So you went with EC? Good choice. I haven't used it but a few AA members have it and have great success with it. What size tank you have? I would consider you light, low light.

So you went with EC? Good choice. I haven't used it but a few AA members have it and have great success with it. What size tank you have? I would consider you light, low light.

Thanks I did research and seems to me that it would be the best choice for a planted tank. It's a 30g. Here is a picture of it currently ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434167389.167825.jpg

Great start Harry. Is that java fern in front of the rocks? If it is make the rhizome isn't completely buried in the substrate.

Great start Harry. Is that java fern in front of the rocks? If it is make the rhizome isn't completely buried in the substrate.

It is Java fern. Thanks I wasn't completely sure how to plant it

Planting it in the substrate is the least preferred method but the way you have it is ok if the rhizome is out and the hair like roots are planted. Eventually the roots will take hood and the rhizome will creep. As celeb and fresh has already stated tieing the Java fern to wood or rocks is the preferred method.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom