Plants and Water Parameters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am planning on getting some java fern and/or moss and water sprite. I chose these plants because they will be my first and they are supposedly very hardy and easy to keep. How well can these plants adjust to different water parameters? I.e pH? The Java Fern supposedly needs a max pH of 7.0 and mine will be around 7.5 max. Any thoughts? Thanks :)

never heard of the java fern needed a 7ph max before. almost all plants are fine no matter the water parameters.

Definitely agree, don't sweat it.

How high are your levels? Plants actually like a bit of ammonia and/or nitrIte moreso than they like nitrAte, but too high levels will kill them.

well mt nitrate is at 20ppm, ammonia has been 3-5ppm, and nitrites haven't started spiking yet. The guy at the LFS surprisingly told me not to get plants yet because it would kill them. So I decided to do some more research on it. The plants I want are beginner plants and supposedly they like many conditions, so I don't think it would be a problem. I just don't want to kill anything! lol

plants can help speed up the cycle. i have cycled many tanks with out killing off any of them. the faster growing plants you get the quicker it might be done.

With those levels of Ammonia I'd wait to add the plants. Ammonia + Light = Algae.

With those levels of Ammonia I'd wait to add the plants. Ammonia + Light = Algae.
it can work and many people do it though. there are many people in the plant side who do what is called is a silent cycle. they get the plants in the tank wait a few days so they are starting to grow then add fish. i am not saying you should do this in this case but you can lower the ammonia down 3 if you are that worried about it and add the plants. since plants are a natural bio filter personally the quicker they are added the better.

Back
Top Bottom