Plants are turning brown and yellow, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass95

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gallon tank that has been running for a month. I added my substrate, eco complete and plants on the same day. I dose with seachem flourish and api co2 booster. I have a 10 watt fluorescent light blub that is meant for planted tanks. Which runs fro 6 to 8 hours a day, everyday. The plants I have are melon sword, amazon sword, brazilian pennywort, anubias, java fern. Please help. The leaves were green for a while then started to turn yellow. Which has turned into brown, I started trimming but now it started to become worse. Some leaves are transparent or very thin looking.

Attachments

• IMAG0344.jpg
    IMAG0344.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMAG0346.jpg
    IMAG0346.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMAG0349.jpg
    IMAG0349.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMAG0347.jpg
    IMAG0347.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 95
I would add root tabs. The swords are especially root heavy with intake of stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also pull out some of the dead leaves and the ones that look bad. The plant will work on growing/healing everything and if you pull off some of the dead/almost dead leaves it means all the effort to growth is going towards the good leaves

I agree put some root tabs in there. It also looks like some of those sword leaves are emergent growth which is one reason for the yellowing. if the new growth coming up out of the middle of the plants is looking bad, then you have a deficiency.

@ jetajockey do you know what kind of deficiency it could be?

Sent from my 710C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm no planted tank expert, but I think that's an overdose or deficiency of iron. I don't know though.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Thank you

Should I replace my lighting to higher watt to 15 or 20? But I want to use liquid CO2 like excel or api co2 booster.

definelty get an iron supplement. for long term stability adding some Citrine quartz stones as decor can actually help because they have Ferrous Iron in them which is the best type of iron for plants. They might be harder to find than a simple iron supplement though. Some quartz gravel actually has it in it.

It could also be caused by a bacterial infection or root rot for the Anubias and java fern you have to make sure the Rhizome is above the substrate to prevent the root rot.
Watts don't mean much anymore verse Par but since it's florescent you can still go by the wpg formula and since you have a 10 gallon tank a 15 watt would be ideal since it'd equate to 1.5 watts per gallon which is what is recommended.

Excel is perfect for a 10 gallon as long as the plants or fish aren't sensitive. I'd think if you added the dose to a 1-3 gallon jug with prime that you can use it as a water change and it'd be diluted before it even entered the tank so it would be less likely to have any adverse effects. I mean if you wanted to dose excel daily the perfect remedy would probably to take a 1 gallon jug and use that to take 1 gallon out and add you excel and prime to it then wait like 5 minutes and then pour it in. Imo that seems like a really good way to keep a healthy tank. then add iron every 3 day to a week depending on how the plants seem to respond to it.

Also in addition to Flourish Comprehensive you can add in API LeafZone so Micros and Macros are covered.

If your fixture allows, up your wattage to 20watts. I use 6,500K full spectrum bulbs.

I'm running two 10watt mini CFLs over my 10g.

Last edited:
I'd also go to a local vet and asking if you can have or buy a couple 1ml syringes that they use for small dogs and cats. I bet they'd give them to you for free if you stated that you were going to use them for dosing you aquarium. But worst case scenario they'd charge probably like 30 cents a piece.
They don't have a fine point injection tip it's wider and gives off one drop at a time since it's meant for giving by mouth.
Recently my small dog had some teeth taken out and we got 5 of them preloaded painkillers and I just cleaned them really good and now use them for water tests or dosing the 1 gallon betta fish tank (which I would really like to upgrade because I find it kind of cruel to keep a betta fish in such a small bowl but he's like 3 years old so it is what it is till I get the opportunity to help him out.

Can I add root tab and iron at the same time during the same day? Or should I add the root tab first then the next day add iron?

Thank you everyone for the help!

Back
Top Bottom