Plants dieng

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dooboedoo12

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I started my tank the banana plant was only roots with a temp of 80 degrees and and a ph of 8.0. They grew phenomenally. Than as of lately I added 5 yellow labs and 5 socolofi and they are Babies. Not even an inch yet and a guarami for now. I tested the water and it's perfect.

I have an algae bloom but it's not that bad. It's being contained. I'm talking to my fish guy now about a new uv sterilizer because mine isn't fixing the problem.

Here's the problem:
The leafs on my plant are beginning to melt. One of them has almost completely melted off and the other one has just begun and is starting to get holes in the leafs as if there's bugs eating them. The others are melting off. I have 2 anubas plants that seem to be okay other than dark leaves but I think that's just the algae. They won't grow anymore tho. I also have a whole ton of Lilly's that grow amazing.

See pics of problem below:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392427059.501021.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392427068.070591.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392427073.474884.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392427081.995838.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392427089.219277.jpg

Help please before I loose them completely!

You appear to have a nutrient deficiency. For the Banana Plants, the Lily's or Lotus, and any crypts or swords you might have you need to be using root tabs on a regular basis as these are all heavy root feeders.

I don't know what type of algae you have but a UV sterilizer is only good for treating green water algae blooms. If you have any other type of algae the UV won't work as it can only kill algae that actually passes through the unit.

I'll have to bring my water in to get looked at than to see which one it is. I put root tabs in once a month. It says 1-2 months to put more in. Is that not enough?

Following the directions for root tabs is usually enough but honestly I've found swords and sometimes bulb plants to need more tabs. Try adding a root tab for each plant about every 3 weeks and see if you have any improvements.

Back
Top Bottom