Plants dying! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
So here is my tank: 20 gallon high. It had staurogyne repens, crypt undulata, ludwigia repens, and Java moss on dw in it. Then I got some new plants, AR, AR mini, bacopa, downoi, baby Vesuvius,and rotala rotundifolia. I changed my lighting to a finnex fugeray planted + 24", dosed the tank with 2 ml of PPS pro, and left. That was Saturday. Come today, Tuesday, this is what happened with the light on for 6 hours a day:
Rotala: minimal damage, some smaller leaves falling off.
Staurogyne repens: a few pinholes, not much more.
Downoi: leaves completely gone, 3/5 plants seemingly nonexistent.
Vesuvius: one plant dead, rest of them have leaves that are turning transparent.
Bacopa: all leaves gone.
AR and AR mini: many leaves turning transparent.
Java moss: turning brown.

The new plants were grown underwater. The fish are 5 rummynose and 3 glowlight tetras and 1 oto.

The only thing it could be that I know of was the nitrate spike that occurred because of the new Eco complete i added. It was at 20ish before by now its up around 40:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406064433.597591.jpg

Bacopa:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406064480.034255.jpg

AR and AR mini:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406064531.902086.jpg

Java moss:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406064562.248151.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Wowzers.. that's some serious melt.. what was the lighting schedule in your absence?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wowzers.. that's some serious melt.. what was the lighting schedule in your absence?

1-7 PM is what the timer is set to but we've has issues with it before. Let me check with my mom to see if it was.

Just confirmed with my mom. She doesn't think it was on or off at any strange times so it should have been 6 hours a day.

Plants may have got a Lil cooked on the ride.. give them some time, adding root tabs around the tank can always help.. did you mix the kno3 separately?

Plants may have got a Lil cooked on the ride.. give them some time, adding root tabs around the tank can always help.. did you mix the kno3 separately?

No i did not, but I will once i remix them tomorrow. I will also add co2 tomorrow and set the timer up to go on for 4 hours, off for 3, and then on for 4 more. Today I will probably mix ferts, do a water change, and get co2 prepped for tomorrow.

What do you recommend i do besides that?

Edit: off for four hours not three

They should bounce back. A lot of plants can go through some melt when adjusting to a new set up.

And not to laugh but that scrap of java looks so pathetic lol

Send me a pm and I'll hook you up with a decent ball, just pay the shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They should bounce back. A lot of plants can go through some melt when adjusting to a new set up.

And not to laugh but that scrap of java looks so pathetic lol

Send me a pm and I'll hook you up with a decent ball, just pay the shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah I got it from another guy who just through a bit of it in as part of a plant package. I just attached it to driftwood to see if it would grow. I'm not looking for Java anymore though. I'm looking for either flame moss or fissidens fontanus. But i also need some pogo erectus so I'll try to get both in the same order.

Back
Top Bottom