Plants dying off help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thepokerkid227

Aquarium Advice Activist
So as I said in previous threads I am totally new to live plants, I am currently cycling a new 20G long tank that has T5 lighting. A trip to a LFS and some talk with the owner and he sold me a couple hearty plants for my background swords and penny wort and suggested I add root tabs which I put in, the pack of API root tabs. Anyway my plants seem to be dying off. Temp is around 82, PH 7.6, I also have been using excel flourish as a carbon source. I cut roots off of plants before I planted as suggested by the guy at LFS, did I kill the plants doing this and taking his advice?! I'm pretty mad that I have about $20 worth of plants dying. Thanks!

Aquatic Plants

So as I said in previous threads I am totally new to live plants, I am currently cycling a new 20G long tank that has T5 lighting. A trip to a LFS and some talk with the owner and he sold me a couple hearty plants for my background swords and penny wort and suggested I add root tabs which I put in, the pack of API root tabs. Anyway my plants seem to be dying off. Temp is around 82, PH 7.6, I also have been using excel flourish as a carbon source. I cut roots off of plants before I planted as suggested by the guy at LFS, did I kill the plants doing this and taking his advice?! I'm pretty mad that I have about $20 worth of plants dying. Thanks!

Hello The...

Plants take time to adjust to new water conditions. They'll look poorly for a time and even die back. Once the plants adjust, most will start new growth. I keep Pennywort in my tanks, but I just let it float on the surface. This plant takes in nutrients from the roots, so I think it does best just floating. Swords are hardy, so they should improve if you give them a little time.

You don't want to feed plants too much. If they don't use all the fertilizer, you'll have algae problems. Keep the tank water pure by changing out half every week and make sure you have enough light. Most tanks need roughly 1.5 watts for every gallon of tank size.

Be patient. The plants very likely will improve.

B

Since the tank just started cycling should I be changing out half the water per week during the whole fishless cycle phase?

Aquatic Plants

Since the tank just started cycling should I be changing out half the water per week during the whole fishless cycle phase?

Hello again The...

Large, frequent water changes will maintain stable levels of the nutrients needed for good plant health, like nitrates, phosphates and sulfates. I would add a few, hardy plants every week during the cycling process. Anacharis, Pennywort, Duckweed and Hornwort are all good, water filtering plants and will grow in most light. The plants just need to be dropped into the tank.

By introducing a lot of plants, you'll maintain a more stable water chemistry during the cycling process. I cycled my tanks with a lot of plants and later added a hardy fish, like female Guppies. The fish weren't bothered by the cycling process, because the plants used so much of the nitrogen from the fish waste.

The more plants, the better.

B

Should I still be cutting the roots off like I was advised by LFS when I add more plants?

Should I still be cutting the roots off like I was advised by LFS when I add more plants?

You dont need to worry about dong water changes when there are plants in a fishless cycle. They will LOVE the available ammonia / nitrite that will be found in the water.

As for the cutting of roots and dying plants, it really depends on what they are and where you got them. Some plants won't care if the roots are cut off and will grow fresh ones readily. Others such as your sword depend on nutrients being absorbed through their roots and can have a tougher time if too much of the roots are removed. It's generally fine to remove all but an inch or so of roots for smaller swords while leaving 3 - 4 inches for the really large ones.

Often times plants are sold that were grown emersed (out of water) and they will have to transition over to the immersed form of their growth. If you bought plants that were sold in the plastic tubes or packages then this is what you have.

I don't know if your cutting the roots off completely, or just trimming them back? I trim mine enough to make burying them manageable. When you get a sword with a 12" root system....little hard to bury that.

He told me to completely cut the roots off above where they start, sounds like I could be SOL

He told me to completely cut the roots off above where they start, sounds like I could be SOL

Yeah, that's extreme. I trim roots as needed but always leave some.

But many plants will rebound. Sounds like they are in shock.

I trim leaves off stem plants on the part that will be planted into the substrate.
But that's not necessary.

I use long tweezers or forceps to help me get plants into my sand.

When you say you cut the plants to above where the roots start....? Do you mean you have just the leaves of the plants left..?

Yes that's what this reputable LFS told me to do, I went in there new to plants and asking questions and followed his advice

Honestly, I think your swords are done... I may not be an expert in this but for the swords to live, they need the root and I don't think any amount of floating or anything is going to bring those back.

He told me they were swords but after comparing them to other amazons they don't look like it ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388701659.088538.jpg

Plants without the roots seem to be doing okay so far, how can I tell when they're beyond the point of no return? Really don't want to leave decaying plants inside my tank

Those definitely don't look like amazon swords. Maybe a hygrophila of some sort? I'm not too good with plant IDs quite yet so someone else will have to chime in.

However if they are doing okay then just leave them be. It's not too big of a deal to have a bit of dying vegetation in your tank.

*Today's update*

They seem to be doing a little betterImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388773201.948470.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388773223.315681.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388773234.272748.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388773245.127645.jpg

Only thing that is worrying me is the color of the stems on the planted ones

Back
Top Bottom