Plants for 20g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skenny

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking for what plants to put in my tank. I have an Anubis water sprite and java fern right now. I also stink at aqua scaping so I could use some help there too.

The other plants need a higher wattage which you don't possess. I would suggest some mosses. I love the Xmas moss that I have!

would the plants i have now be ok? what are some other low wattage plants?

To grow plants you really would need between 2-3 watts per gallon so between 40 to 60 Watts at anywhere from 5000k to 10000k

Those zoo Med lights aren't good for growing plants in anything really

Your best chance really for growing anything would be maybe Java fern or Java moss

well that stinks, I just bought this bulb from my lfs, they said it would be great...

So what plants could i grow in low light. Is what i have ok? what else could i add?

Most lfs have no idea about planted tanks sadly. You will be okay with the plants you have now they just wont get as green or have a very good growth rate. I wouldn't suggest x-mas I feel it doesn't do nearly as well in lighting that well I'd stick with java moss. I would look up low light aquarium plants if I were you there aren't many and probably get a fertalizer like flourish exel

do you think they would let me return the light and get a different one? I just got it on saturday... Can you maybe reccomend another light?

For t-8 lighting you will not be able to find anything over 20watts I believe but if you could return it I'd try And get a 20watt t-8 from Walmart or a hardware store. The extra 5watts wont help drastically but at least that way your at 1 Watt per gallon which is probably the best you'll be able to get

do you think they would let me return the light and get a different one? I just got it on saturday... Can you maybe reccomend another light?
Skenny, you have a 15w T8 bulb over a 20 gallon tank which computes to .75 watts per gallon...

A medium light tank would be nearly 2 watts per gallon...

With flourescent bulbs, watts cannot be changed, just the light spectrum...6700 would be perfect but still, your watts per gallon remains the same...to increase watts per gallon, you would have to get a new fixture.

Is yours a double tube fixture?

its a single tube fixture. If this bulb is good for low light plants, it looks like there is planty (lol that was punny) to choose from. Any advice is appreciated however. i do have some liquid organic miracle grow, can i use this?

its a single tube fixture. If this bulb is good for low light plants, it looks like there is planty (lol that was punny) to choose from. Any advice is appreciated however. i do have some liquid organic miracle grow, can i use this?
You should google plant geek.com...you can see what plants do well with any light conditions...I think you are very low light...

What about fertilizers. I was told
To get multiple products by seachem

Back
Top Bottom