Plants for 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a 55 gallon aquarium with some plants in it already. In the middle/front of the tank I have a 3 very large cryptocoryne petchii. But behind them I have 3 amazon swords that aren't doing so well so I decided to move them to a different and better lit part of the tank.

So I was thinking of what background plants I could plant their.
I also have a empty space right in front of one of my bio wheel 350 filters and I wanted a plant that could cover up that area as well...

So I have 4 plants that I picked and want to discard some and rearrange the others for a good place where they should go. The 4 plants are:
Hornwort, Cobomba Caroliana, Cutleaf WaterMilfoil, and Willow Hygro.

What I was thinking now is Cobomba Caroliana in the mid/back of the tank and Cutleaf WaterMilfoil in front of the filter.
But I also want the mid/back plants to be very tall ( almost to the top of my tank) (20").
Deos anybody have any advice about how to arrange the plans and their opinions.
I appreciate all comments Thanks!!!

Knowing your lighting will greatly help in deciding compatible plants.

Amazon swords are pretty easy.. Did you give them root tabs?

Caleb

First off I did not give the swords root tabs??? And I am not sure about my lighting in my aquarium but it is a marineland 55 gallon aquarium with the night led lights (bought at petsmart)

First off I did not give the swords root tabs??? And I am not sure about my lighting in my aquarium but it is a marineland 55 gallon aquarium with the night led lights (bought at petsmart)

That's why it didn't do well. Amazon swords are root feeders. Root tabs and it will so much better.

Standard marineland lighting isn't very good for plants.

Caleb

Ohhhh I did not know about the root tabs? Do other plants like I suggested use root tabs because I did not find that anywhere???
And can I change the lighting in my tank??? Do you know a good lighting for plants???
Thank you so much!!!

Ohhhh I did not know about the root tabs? Do other plants like I suggested use root tabs because I did not find that anywhere???
And can I change the lighting in my tank??? Do you know a good lighting for plants???
Thank you so much!!!

From what I can find, no you don't need root tabs for your other plants. I always left my hornwort floating.

Amazon sells root tabs or we have a DIY recipe on here "Mebbids DIY Root Tabs" is the thread name. Plenty have used them with great success.

Lighting...
People use T5 fixtures WITY success but.... I'm biased to LED. Finnex is my favorite and what is run on 3 of my tanks.

A Finnex 24/7 on my 10g

http://i.imgur.com/OXCqnTa.jpg

Finnex planted+ on my 75g

http://i.imgur.com/U9O63KH.jpg

Caleb

Wow beautiful tanks!!!!
I will try using the root tabs for all my plants including extra for the Amazon swords.THX
But can you help me decide about the plants??? I mean like which one may look better. I also really like hornwort planted but I do know they don't have any roots.
Do you know if the other plants have roots (I could not find anything on that)? Also which one do you think will look better and where?
Thanks

Wow beautiful tanks!!!!
I will try using the root tabs for all my plants including extra for the Amazon swords.THX
But can you help me decide about the plants??? I mean like which one may look better. I also really like hornwort planted but I do know they don't have any roots.
Do you know if the other plants have roots (I could not find anything on that)? Also which one do you think will look better and where?
Thanks

1 root tab under the plant with cover you for a month or two.

All of your plants are indeed planted except the hornwort, I can't remember if it can be planted.

If I had to pick another light for a planted tank it would be this 24/7 it's awesome man.

This is a 55g you should have much more space for plenty of plant options.

Caleb

Thanks I already have lots of plants. I will try to buy some root tabs for the plants too.
The thing about lighting is that my tank has a special hood and I can't install new lights.��

Thanks I already have lots of plants. I will try to buy some root tabs for the plants too.
The thing about lighting is that my tank has a special hood and I can't install new lights.��

You could try and see if there's a T5 that will fit it. Otherwise ditch the hood and start over

Caleb

Thanks for the advice!!! I remember you posted on my other thread about adding fish and I was just wondering if
10 Giant Danios
3 Boesemani Rainbows
2 Preacox Rainbows
would be to much for the bio load for the 55 with the other fish and the 2 bio wheel 350's thanks!!!

Thanks for the advice!!! I remember you posted on my other thread about adding fish and I was just wondering if

10 Giant Danios

3 Boesemani Rainbows

2 Preacox Rainbows

would be to much for the bio load for the 55 with the other fish and the 2 bio wheel 350's thanks!!!

Rainbows are pretty social. IMO you could get away with it

Caleb

So you think it would be fine for the bio load WITH ALL THE OTHER FISH (I am not trying to be mad because of the caps but I just want to make sure the bio load will be fine)... Thanks for all the replies it was really helpful thx

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom