Plants for first tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylefight11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an old 5 gallon Aqueon mini bow 5 gallon starter set that I wanted to use for guppy breeding. A little later on I want to try adding some red cherry shrimp. I have a list of 5 plants that I think that I want to use:
Anacharis
Hornwort
Moss Ball
Anubias
Java moss
Are all of these plants easy to care for?
Will they work with each other and with my fish?
Do I need fertilizer? If so, what kind? I want to be cautios; I've heard that some fertilizers will kill shrimp.
By the way, the hood light that the tank comes with is only 15 Watts if it makes a difference.
Would plain aquarium gravel work for a substrate? If not, what would?
Thank you,
Kyle

The plants are easy but how many guppies do you think you can fit in a 5g and deal with fry?

The plants are easy but how many guppies do you think you can fit in a 5g and deal with fry?
I will get 3 or 4 to start, 1 male and 2-3 females. I forgot to mention that after about 6 months or so, I will be moving them to a larger tank (26 gallons or so, I haven't decided exactly how big). I only plan in a couple births in this time and about as many surviving fry. In fact, I think that I'll add the RCA first and wait a couple of month before adding the guppies, making their time in the small tank even shorter.

In other words, I know it's crowded, but I am prepared to be diligent about water quality. And it's only for a relatively short time so I'm not too worried about population growth.

The plants that you listed such as hornwort and anachris will quickly overgrow in only a 5 gallon that I would recommend looking into some over plants if you plan on dosing ferts because the plants you listed don't really need them. I would recommend only rcs in a tank that size and no fish. Look into some moss like ricca.

The plants that you listed such as hornwort and anachris will quickly overgrow in only a 5 gallon that I would recommend looking into some over plants if you plan on dosing ferts because the plants you listed don't really need them. I would recommend only rcs in a tank that size and no fish. Look into some moss like ricca.

I think I'm going to just put in the shrimp and maybe revisit the idea later.
How much do you think that these plants would grow in 6 months without fertilizer?

Ok those plants you just listed would be massive afternsix months accept for the java fern and the anubias and moss ball. I had a small 1 foot piece of hotnwort in my tank and came back from vacation a week and a half later I came back to a six foot monster plant so that is why I said that. If you choose to get them just know you will have to trim regularly.

Back
Top Bottom