Plants from Travis Simonson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last week Travis was kind enough to send me some plants. Some of these plants I've never even seen before so I've no idea if they're planted correctly or not. What do you think?

Riccia Flutans, Blyxa Japonica, Ludwigia Glandulosa, Pogostemon (Downoi), Ranunculus Papalentus.

Attachments

• plants_from_travis_12_006.jpg
    plants_from_travis_12_006.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 110
  • plants_from_travis_12_007.jpg
    plants_from_travis_12_007.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 122
Nice pics. I've never heard of the Blyxa Japonica, Pogostemon (Downoi), or Ranunculus Papalentus. What are they?

I think you should stop wasting your time and just hand them over to me. :wink:

All kidding aside, from what I can see, it looks like a very nice planting job. This is your 125 gal right?

It looks like you've done a great job Brian :)

The R. papulentus is a lot like Hydrocotyle verticellata and other runner-type plants. You can clip it into individual plantlets and plant them so that they each send out runners. Trust me, you'll have more of it than you know what to do with after a while. It's still pretty rare in the U.S.

The B. japonica is a heavy root-feeder and needs to have its roots firmly planted into the substate. It looks like a grass but is actually a stem plant that puts out bunches of grass-like fronds. You'll see this when it starts to propagate. Amano uses it extensively in his aquascapes.

The Downoi is my favorite and grows in clumps, reminds me of a yucca plant. You can split the clumps into individual plantlets to propagate it, just make sure each plantlet has a decent root structure attached before dividing it. It's not very demanding as long you don't move it a lot. Under high light it will stay low, but under lower lighting it will grow vertically. In Thailand it is called "dao noi", or "little star", and you can see the resemblance. It is also a rarity in the U.S. but not for much longer.

The Ludwigia glandulosa is my favorite Ludwigia species. The color is striking next to bright green plants. It really needs a lot of light to grow well or it will lose its lower leaves. It does not branch readily either unless you let it grow to the top of the tank and bend horizontally, in which case it will put out many branchlets.

OK, I'll quit rambling. Hope you enjoy the plants Brian and keep us updated with pics of your tank. It looks great :D

Thanks again Travis. I think the Downoi is terrific too. And JC, you're getting some val from me tomorrow night so be patient. LOL.

More than anything else a planted tank becomes a perpetual work in progress. This was my 125g planted discus tank and I've rethought the whole thing. I'm not entirely happy with this tank for several reasons. Beating off the BBA is a major PITA. Although it's improving I won't be satisfied until it's erradicated. The Elodea looks like **** because it's sending out roots from everywhere.

What I'm thinking of doing is removing all of the taller plants with the exception of the brazilian sword and the P. Stellata. I'm going to give all of the foreground plants an opportunity to carpet the bottom and take it from there.

No more discus in this tank. It's too intensely lit for them to feel comfortable. I'm thinking of DD black angels, rummy nose tetras and cardinals.

And JC, you're getting some val from me tomorrow night so be patient.
Yes but...ROFL!!!

No more discus in this tank. It's too intensely lit for them to feel comfortable. I'm thinking of DD black angels, rummy nose tetras and cardinals.
Shame that it had to come to that...I can understand the issue. The Angels make sense. (y)

Beautiful tank -- just keeps looking better and better.

d••n brian! that's a nice looking tank! the plants are really beautiful! nice job! i'm jealous--i want travis' plants too :)

Back
Top Bottom