Plants - good for the tank or just decoration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes they do, they uptake ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, and give off oxygen. Also give fish a place to hide.

My opinion is that most common community fish are more comfortable with live plants, makes them feel more at home. No science there, just my not-so-humble opinion!

My fish definitely like hiding in the plants, also eating them so I have to replant from time to time. I don't mind that, I want them to have a natural environment.

Don't plants give off carbon dioxide when its dark? If this is true I'm wondering about the detrimental effect on the tank. I'm thinking about this stuff because I've got a sick catfish. Have posted elsewhere about him, but wondering if more plants might improve tank health.
(All other fish are fine by the way)
:)

Yes Yes. I love planted tanks. I highly reccomend them. They eat fish wastes and uneated food, plus they put more oxygen in the water. They provide a great look and make your tank very natural. They get the tank into a balance much more effectively. Overall they improve the water quality. I highly reccomend a plant with large leaves such as an amazon sword, whereas small leaved plants shed and leaves get caught in your filter, plus, dont seem as hardy. If you are going for plants you will need a floresent light for your aquarium and about 3 in. of gravel to be safe, whereas 1 in. is sufficient . Ask me about the lighting if you are interested. But yes, I say go with plants.

Back
Top Bottom