Plants I think have Cryptocoryne Disease Cryptocoryne Rot.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
??? My plant club says Swords are heavy Root feeders and once I added Root Caps my dwarf Chain Swords exploded.
I think I'll take Tom Barr's words as truth. He also recommends CO2. But I use it when I can. Still manage to grow easy plants. Med-high light stuff really needs it for sure.

My Chain Swords View attachment 290403
View attachment 290404View attachment 290405View attachment 290406

View attachment 290407

These are straight sand tanks. I used Root Caps and Leaf Zone. Nothing else in the early days of these tanks. Excel was added ? If I remembered 1x a month ??

These are 10g tanks so easier to grow in.

I do not deny your experiences or that of your club members but this does not make it true. I have yet to see any concrete scientific studies on the subject but this does not make it untrue. For every claim there is usually a counter claim (plants grow just as well in inert substrate with EI dosing) for this reason I tend to not to state either for fear of perpetuating regurgitated myth. [emoji846]

As someone who has tried everything at least once... it's all relative... substrate+lighting+carbon source/co2+fert+flow+source water=???? Unless you'd have identical setups with different variables i.e. experiment vs.control.. Nothing definitive. Some source water is contaminated with farm runoff, lots of ferts already there.. I grew chain swords in gravel under a finnex planted plus when I had no idea what I was doing and they went ballistic. Than again I was dumping all sorts of seachem products in to the tank so..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As someone who has tried everything at least once... it's all relative... substrate+lighting+carbon source/co2+fert+flow+source water=???? Unless you'd have identical setups with different variables i.e. experiment vs.control.. Nothing definitive. Some source water is contaminated with farm runoff, lots of ferts already there.. I grew chain swords in gravel under a finnex planted plus when I had no idea what I was doing and they went ballistic. Than again I was dumping all sorts of seachem products in to the tank so..

'Tis true. You have to wonder where phrases like 'heavy root feeders' originated though.

I mean.. at the same time I stuck some crypts in my 20l which has 3 year old substrate, I don't really dose the tank but these crypts took off. It's all relative! Years of fish poo.. this I know! (Fresh20 too)

Of course my name and fish poo would appear in the same sentence.
The crypts I had (some of which were sent to brookster) where grown in low light, no water column ferts or carbon source, ecocomplete and root fertilizers. I used AquaFertz because they were 75 for $10. They grew slowly yet filled up my tank via runners. Healthy growth.
Water can vary by region. I've never had staurogyne repens melt, yet I hear about accounts of these plants (even the ones I've sent) just melting for no apparent reason.
As for the OP, what is the brand and model of the light fixture you are using? I have no idea how strong they are.
When my CO2 when was out for a week or so, the first thing I saw was algae growing on the plants. Diminished growth. But I never saw holes in leaves.

Of course my name and fish poo would appear in the same sentence.
The crypts I had (some of which were sent to brookster) where grown in low light, no water column ferts or carbon source, ecocomplete and root fertilizers. I used AquaFertz because they were 75 for $10. They grew slowly yet filled up my tank via runners. Healthy growth.
Water can vary by region. I've never had staurogyne repens melt, yet I hear about accounts of these plants (even the ones I've sent) just melting for no apparent reason.
As for the OP, what is the brand and model of the light fixture you are using? I have no idea how strong they are.
When my CO2 when was out for a week or so, the first thing I saw was algae growing on the plants. Diminished growth. But I never saw holes in leaves.
It's an elive 48", pod wise it has 8 white, 4 lunar blue and 2 color enhancing, the pods are removable and I can add more to it or take away, if they were florescent it would be very simple for me to calculate wattage and light spectrum but with the led pods there's no heat, and they are low watts but I have every light spectrum and high lumens (strength/brightness) and Kelvin rating, it's very complicated for me lol.

I do not deny your experiences or that of your club members but this does not make it true. I have yet to see any concrete scientific studies on the subject but this does not make it untrue. For every claim there is usually a counter claim (plants grow just as well in inert substrate with EI dosing) for this reason I tend to not to state either for fear of perpetuating regurgitated myth. [emoji846]

Fair enough. I thought I saw that our next club meet might be at Tom Barr's house. I'll ask him if he knows of any studies.

There is so much we don't know about aquarium plants [emoji485][emoji485]

Fair enough. I thought I saw that our next club meet might be at Tom Barr's house. I'll ask him if he knows of any studies.

There is so much we don't know about aquarium plants [emoji485][emoji485]

From what I have read on the subject I've seen one that T.Barr has linked himself. It was where the plant studied (not crypts or swords) had its roots cut off but still grew.

On the whole I think Barr has his reservations on this topic as is described in the link below. There are more too.

http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr-report/co2-enrichment/4739-substrates-for-root-feeders

It would be interesting to hear his thoughts.

I agree. We know so little and mostly, what we think we know now will change over time.

Regarding the eLive fixture, here is a review from a few years back. The consensus sounds like these are suitable for low light plant tanks. However, that may be based on dated information. Also, no mention of PAR readings at all. I see that AquariumPlants.com has been recently pushing this product line. You might want to contact them to see if there are published specs (PAR chart) on these fixtures.

I ordered flourish root tabs she flourish liquid, i was advised against co2 until I get more plants and they start fighting for for it. I was actually recommended tetra liquid forgot the name but you have to use so much of it that seachem or leaf zone is the better option even though it's more expensive you don't have to use as much, I've never put root tabs or any fert in this tank, also I put my tank back down to 78 instead of 81 don't know if temp would cause it, what I'm more curious about is the light.

So I posted my light and out of curiosity would it be considered low light or medium light?

Also all the crowns on the swords were buried i lifted them up where the crowns are exposed to the water column.

Par is also known AS nm, my whites are not rated in nm(par) they are rated in Kelvin, my Lunars and enhancing are measured in nm (par) my Lunar blues are 465 nm (par) per pod, my color enchanting are 630 nm (par) .

Here's pics after I pulled up the swords to unsure the crown, is this right 20161029_112700.jpg20161029_112749.jpg
e30e791bce5ed51125bb4c828322190a.jpg

Darn BN got in the way but the back swords are the same way as the first picture.

Yes, those are the crowns and the plants will be happier now. I've grown stuff in gravel tanks before.

There are several Flourish bottles.
Flourish Comprehensive is the one I've used with my Leaf Zone to complement and fill in the nutrient gaps.

Later you can find Root Caps much cheaper.

Nilocg's website sells 100 for $9 plus $7 shipping I think
http://nilocg.com/osmocote-plus-capsules/

Members on here sell them as well.
I bought my last ones on eBay $8 for 100 incl shipping.

Looks like even cheaper now.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/100-pcs-Size-...%3A161cebd71580a2a2150ca79dfffcb23d%7Ciid%3A1

I got my root tabs in today should I add some liquid flourish in with them?

Yeah I plan on making my own from here on out with osmocote, I think I messed up though I got flourish tabs and flourish liquid which is the same as the tabs

Back
Top Bottom