Plants keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish345

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am an expert at killing my aquarium plants :). No matter what I do they seem to die. My jungle Val is not growing and is getting weird black spots. My other 2 plants (not sure what they are called, Lfs just called them “bunch plants”) are having similar issues. I included a few pictures of my plants (I think, I am new to this site and it is being very difficult to add pictures). Btw I dose flourish and flourish phosphorus.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 22
How long are you giving the plants before writing them off? Are you seeing complete die off of plants and no new growth?

Aquarium plants are cultivated emersed (partially above water) and they have ready access to CO2 from the atmosphere. You put them underwater and the leaf structure isnt suited to its new environment and "melts". This is normal. New growth is more tolerant to being totally submerged. You may lose all your original plant, but new growth should start to come through before the plant dies. Remove any dead leafs so the plant can concentrate its resources to new growth rather than trying to support dying growth.

Ok, I bought these plants about a week ago, so I am assuming that they are just taking time to acclimate. Any idea how long that normally takes? Thx for the quick reply!

Back
Top Bottom