Plants look almost clear?? What can I do??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinkybraincbfam

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been cycling my new tank now for three weeks and have just added plants.(amazon sword, some tall grass that climbs and is supposed to float on top of tank, and some moss...) the plants where doing fine for a few days. Then just this morning the tall grass stuff has sunk to now about mid level on the tank and it seems like all the leaves look very thin and almost clear in some areas.... My water levels all seem to be testing fine ph-6.8 nitrite-0 nitrate- <.25ppm ammonia-0 and gh-60 ppm .... I currently don't have any fish in the tank wanted to see how the plants would hold up could it be from a lack of co2 this is a 10 gallon tank that I plan to have 4 barbs in and possibly a pleco for a few months before transferring to a larger tank. Any suggestions as to why my plants over night seemed to get so sickly??

Substrate is a layer of seachem freshwater fertilizer with decorative rocks on top of that. Lighting is a 10" fullspectrum Florecent aquarium lamp we have lite 8-10 hrs a day

Its probably just your plants melting. When you change their environment they lose their leaves and then grow them back. Post a pic of the tank and light. I think you may have insufficient lighting.

Can you post of picture of this tall grass? It's quite possible, and is a common mistake, to get semi-aquatic plants like Mondo grass and use them fully submerged. They'd eventually die and rot on you.

Also, some aquatic plants can melt when they're moved and trying to adapt to a new environment.

Def got all the plants from a reputable LFS and it asked specifically for something that will grow tall and give the top of tank cover. I am looking at doing a tank of barbs and I hear they love the top of the tank to have growth.
Now my only real concern is should i stock the tank with new fish during this melting stage or should i wait for the plants to grow back??? Should I trim off the melting leaves or just let them dissolve naturally into the water?? Would a water change help at this point have one scheduled for two days from now but can always bump it up if necessary??

Def got all the plants from a reputable LFS and it asked specifically for something that will grow tall and give the top of tank cover. I am looking at doing a tank of barbs and I hear they love the top of the tank to have growth.
Now my only real concern is should i stock the tank with new fish during this melting stage or should i wait for the plants to grow back??? Should I trim off the melting leaves or just let them dissolve naturally into the water?? Would a water change help at this point have one scheduled for two days from now but can always bump it up if necessary??

Well, the melting leaves will need to be trimmed at some point because you don't want that rooting all over the substrate. Trimming the dead leaves should en courage new growth. A water change probably won't stop the progression of this, the plants are probably just adapting to the new water chemistry of your tank, it takes some time for them to establish themselves. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom