Plants melting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello! I have a 55 gal planted tank. It's stocked with an assortment of platy's and tetras, some MTS and nerite snails, I have a Marineland emporer 400 filter, pool filter sand. I use API leaf zone liquid fert once a week and I need to get some more API root tabs. My tank had been running since march 29 of this year and my plants were added within a few weeks of starting my tank.

I've been on vacation for a month. My tank needs a major cleaning. My question is, my 2 swords have leaves that are either totally melted- they look like leaf skeletons if that makes sense- and some leaves that are slightly melted just on the ends to about halfway down. I'm going to remove the completely melted leaves, but what do I do with the ones that are half melted? Remove them completely, cut off the melted part leaving the healthy part? Leave them alone? (I'm pretty sure the problem is that I need to add root tabs and there was an 8 day period that the lights didn't turn on. Once I clean the tank and fertilize the plants should, in theory, do better like they were doing before I left.)

Thanks for your help!

I think this happens when there is a sudden major change in water conditions.

bettaowner said:
I think this happens when there is a sudden major change in water conditions.

Well, not having pwc's every week could be it. Should I snip off all the damaged leaves then? Even the ones that are only half damaged?

Cut off the damaged leaves as close to the base as you can. I want to say deficiency and the plant is just mobilizing old nutrients. Might want to get those root tabs soon.

Don't worry if the plant looks a little sparse after trimming. It'll bounce back.

Last edited:
I think I would as long as its not going to take off the whole plant just about. I've heard if a leaf is dead or Dieing to cut it off cause its taking away from the nutrients the plant needs to produce new leaves. Kinda like a battle between plants and algae they both fight for nutrients

My sword plant did that too, i think it just didnt have enought nutrients, because when i put a root tab beneath it the leaves started looking better and growing longer

I cleaned the tank really well today. Man.... A month of being on vacation is alot of fish and snail poop! I removed all of the damaged leaves from my swords and pruned my water wisteria. I will get some root tabs in a day or two. I dosed with some liquid fert today. Things look much better after some much needed attention.

It's been 8 days since I cleaned the tank and 7 days since I put in root tabs. The plants are
Doing alot better. The swords are each getting a new leaf and the wisteria has perked up. No more melting leaves! Now if only my micro sword would grow. It's been the same size since I bought it! I guess I shouldnt complain. It isn't dying at least...

Back
Top Bottom