Plants melting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bert2oo1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys just started up my 30g planted tank, seeded my filter for fast cycle. Had nitrites a few days ago but they left with a water change. Currently my levels are:
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 6.8
Temp 74 or 26c

Light is 20 to 100% over 2 hours then 4 hours at 100% then down to 0% over 2 hours.

I'm running a fluval 205 canister with diy co2 (bubbling into intake at 1bps)
Lighting is medium to high

Dosing ferts daily using dry ferts (pps pro system)

My microswords are looking great with plenty of new root growth but my Amazon sword and 2 crypts are struggling. Are they melting?

Here's pics

Any help of what could be doing this and how to fix it would be great! Still trying to get my head around everything!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can't speak for the sword, but it is not uncommon for crypts to melt. I've had that happen while moving from one tank to another in my house. You should see new growth appearing at the crown soon.
Both are aggressive root feeders so root tabs/pellets help increase their well being.

My sword lost all of its leaves but all the new ones came in just fine.

Would it be worth me cutting it back? Get rid of all the big ones?

I trimmed mine so the decay would not be in the water.

I can't speak for the sword, but it is not uncommon for crypts to melt.

Crypts will melt even if you just look at them funny. They really need their own fainting couch. :rolleyes:

Haven't had that experience with swords, though.

You should see new growth appearing at the crown soon.

Yes, all other things being equal. I had one tank that turned into a "crypt forest," the new growth was so strong. :eek:

Trimmed all the crappy leaves off my sword (it now looks pathetic) lol hopefully it grows back nice and strong.
Cut a few off my crypts too but there new shoots are looking really good :)

Back
Top Bottom