Plants & Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmanova

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tap water contains 40 ppm Nitrates (not a good thing). What aquatic plants are sponges for Nitrates that can help my tap water dilemma?

Any fast growing plants work well. Java moss, hornwort, water lettuce, anarachis, etc. Google is your friend.

The catch is that while some plants are capable of sponging up nitrates, they can be limited by how much light they have available to them. A sprig of wisteria in sub par light will barely grow at all, but one under medium light will grow like crazy.

I recommend wisteria, hornwort, and water sprite for the purpose of sponging nitrates. In terms of sheer nutrient sucking ability, it hard to beat duckweed, but then you have the whole duckweed problem to deal with...

I use 2 x 24" fluorcient bulbs - 20 watt each bulb (46 gal. tank). What plants would be the best for nitrate removal?

Wisteria, hornwort and water sprite are good recommendations. Java moss doesn't grow fast enough or use enough to make it worth while.

I honestly think you'll be fine with 40ppm of nitrates from your tap. It's on the higher side but as long as they don't get any higher you will be fine. Just keep up on the water changes and go easy on feedings.

Is the fish food (Flakes), the major cause of high nitrates in my water? Should I use a differant type of food (less waste maybe) to maybe not produce the high notrates

gmanova said:
Is the fish food (Flakes), the major cause of high nitrates in my water? Should I use a differant type of food (less waste maybe) to maybe not produce the high notrates

It should only be a significant factor if you're overfeeding. If you're concerned about it, you can always feed less often. Every other day will be fine for your fish.

Many thaanks. I will cut back on the feedings. This nitrate problem is killing me. I did a 50% WC yesterday when my reading was above 80 ppm and checking it today was no signicant differance.

If you ever get tired of plants, then think about using an algae turf scrubber for future setups. They should help reduce nitrAtes in between weekly water change.

If you ever get tired of plants, then think about using an algae turf scrubber for future setups. They should help reduce nitrAtes in between weekly water change.

Seems like a hacksaw on mashed potatoes to me.

Don't think of high nitrates as a problem that needs fixing. Think of it as an opportunity to justify getting a slightly more high tech system :cool:

Back
Top Bottom