Plants pearling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foster53

Aquarium Advice Addict
I actually had a few of my plants pearl after adding Glute. I did a huge water change, added Glute, and Peroxide(fighting Staghorn algae) and a few of the plants started pearling. This is the first time I have ever seen it in my tank, as I don't use CO2. If anyone knows how to get rid(or at least control) Staghorn algae, I am VERY open to suggestions. What I have tried so far is not working. Water changes every other day, triple dosing Glute, double dosing Hydrogen Peroxide, Spot treating with peroxide, cutting out all ferts, reducing photoperiod to 5 hrs per day. No change. The little bit of BBA in the tank is long gone, but the staghorn hangs on:facepalm:

Well, I had a terrible algae bloom also and all I did was trim off all the plants leaves with the algae on it, scrubbed all the algae off the walls of my tanks, dropped my photoperiod to 6 hrs a day, spot treated any existing algae with flourish excel and the excel worked VERY well for me. I also added a small amount of salt to the tank but did a large water change after and I have never had any algae since...I also HIGHLY reccomend you get some Nerite snails or Amano shrimp, or even both! I have 50 Amanos and 16 snails in my 60g planted and its so clear and as I said no specs of algae what so ever anymore. Just try to take out anything you can with the algae on it, scrub like crazy and keep up with the spot treatments. I found that the H202 didn't help at all but the excel worked in less than 24 hrs the spot I squirted it on was algae free the next morning. Just remember to dose the amount your tank would receive on a basis. Hope this helps!

Also- I reccomend a nice floating plant not only to block some of the light entering the tank but to absorb all the excess nutrients in the tank. I got a bunch of dwarf water lettuce and duckweed and literally covered my whole surface with it and after most of the algae cleared up I took a little of the floating plants out until it was all gone. I still keep some duckweed over the driftwood though because It has anubias on it and since they are low light and slow growers to prevent them from being so vulnerable to algae the duckweed provides the shade it needs.

I cant answer specifically to Staghorn algae, but my aquatic plant book says to give a siesta/rest period of a couple hours in the middle of the day. It says breaks up the algae growth cycle. After implementing the siesta, I have found there to be less issue with the algae.

Also sometimes over feeding, or the brand of food you use. I also stopped using economical flakes and use Hikari. I hope something may help.

You can use a timer, for convenience.

How's the circulation in the tank? IME, staghorn likes to develop in high lit tanks with not enough co2 and especially where there's little current (aka: "dead spots"). I was able to get rid of mine by spot treating excel and increasing the flow rate on my filter pump.

Also.. To effectively spot treat with excel (or Glut), you should turn off your filter and/or power heads.. When the water is nice and still, use a syringe to inject the excel right over the affected areas. Let the solution sit for like 10-15 minutes before you turn the filter on. Repeat the process daily if need be. Took me about 3 treatments and haven't seen it since.

Pearling after a water change is not all that unusual. What kind of light setup are you using? My biggest issues with staghorn have always been in a high light situation.

I had 2 32 watt 6500K bulbs. I have removed one of the bulbs. Hope this helps break the cycle.

How's the circulation in the tank? IME, staghorn likes to develop in high lit tanks with not enough co2 and especially where there's little current (aka: "dead spots"). I was able to get rid of mine by spot treating excel and increasing the flow rate on my filter pump.

Also.. To effectively spot treat with excel (or Glut), you should turn off your filter and/or power heads.. When the water is nice and still, use a syringe to inject the excel right over the affected areas. Let the solution sit for like 10-15 minutes before you turn the filter on. Repeat the process daily if need be. Took me about 3 treatments and haven't seen it since.
Circulalation is from 2 AC 70's at opposite ends of the tank. I have actuslly lowered the water level in the tank to expose the plants and sprayed directly on the exposed plants. I only let it set for a few minutes. Maybe not long enough.

Also- I reccomend a nice floating plant not only to block some of the light entering the tank but to absorb all the excess nutrients in the tank. I got a bunch of dwarf water lettuce and duckweed and literally covered my whole surface with it and after most of the algae cleared up I took a little of the floating plants out until it was all gone. I still keep some duckweed over the driftwood though because It has anubias on it and since they are low light and slow growers to prevent them from being so vulnerable to algae the duckweed provides the shade it needs.

Floating plants were my next move. Going this weekend to find some!!

Thanks for the ideas to help eliminate my algae problem everyone. I appreciate it. Hopefully I will win this war:lol:

Back
Top Bottom