Plants plants Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ansomnia7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have planted my aquarium and I was wondering what kind of CO2 fertilizer everyone uses. I'm not interested in buying a CO2 system.

Thanks!

Planted Tanks w/o CO2

I have planted my aquarium and I was wondering what kind of CO2 fertilizer everyone uses. I'm not interested in buying a CO2 system.

Thanks!

Hello Ans...

If you keep low to moderate light plants, you don't need CO2. I keep plants that require subdued lighting and rarely use commercial fertilizers.

Your plants need macro "high dose" and micro "small dose" fertilizers. The macro ferts are in most public water supplies. So, if you change half the tank water every week or two, your plants get the macros.

The micros come from the waste the fish produce. The fish do their business in the water and it dissolves, providing the "small dose" ferts. If you have a properly stocked tank, then just feed the fish a balanced diet.

Pretty simple, really.

B

This could be a pain, but which plants do you like?

I purchased a bundle from an online store. I mostly have amazon swords in there.

Not to confuse things further, but Nitrogen (the N in NPK macronutrients) comes directly from fish waste. A few water systems have nitrates in them (well water/agricultural zones especially), but I wouldn't count on it.

For a lower light low tech tank I'd just stick with a basic microfert like Flourish comprehensive, and if you want to see if co2 will help noticeably (it may or may not depending on how much light you are working with), go with either a DIY co2 setup or start dosing excel /glutaraldehyde, which is a co2 supplement. It's often mistakenly called liquid carbon, which can confuse things even more, but either way.

I have low tech no CO2 and I have lots of anubias and crypts and swords. Swords are root feeders though and so I use fertilizer tabs with them

Back
Top Bottom