Plants stopped growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogart

Aquarium Advice Regular
Up until 2 weeks ago my plants were growing like crazy, since then they have not only not grown, I've had some die off. The tank is about 6 months old and mist of the plants have been in it about 5 months. It's not just one type of plant affected, but all of them. The only thing I use is

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sorry I didn't finish. The only plant supplement I use is Flourish twice a week as recommended. Any idea what may have happened.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Flourish comprehensive is mainly used to get your trace elements. You are still lacking your macro nutrients( N, P, & K). What is your lighting? How long of a photoperiod? Are you injecting co2 or any co2 supplement?..We really need a little more info....

I have more than enough LED lighting. It's on for 12 hours a day. I don't use anything else, including CO2.

Sounds like you need to look into macro nutrients. With "more than enough" lighting your plants could be stunted due to 1 or more nutrient deficiency. You also may want to shorten your photoperiod since excessive light and poor growing plants will evolve into an algae problem. Look into some sort of co2 injection or supplementation via glut or excel. Keep up with water changes in the mean time....

Thanks, I'll look into other supplements. I do change the water 40% - 50% every week. This is the first fresh water tank since I was a teenager. Since then I've had salt water of and on over the years. Fish have been doing fine, but need to learn more about plants.

50 gal. Community tank. I can't stand the thought of plastic plants. So have learn how to do this part.

Nice size tank!! Check out Green Leaf Aquariums. They have awesome ferts. Read up on the different dosing regimes such as PPS Pro and EI dosing. Also look into root tabs for your heavy root feeders such as swords and crypts. Depending on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go with this, and believe me..it go's deep..you might want to start studying up on co2 injection,. And metricide 14.... This is a great community here, a lot of cool guys/gals are here to help.

If you are growing swords or crypts, you'll need root tabs.

For a large tank dry ferts will be a lot cheaper than liquid. And it will be more complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Summariing some of the advice I received can you tell me the specific products I should get for the following:

- macro nutrients (N, P & K)

- I'm not ready to commit to a CO2 regulator at this time, anything else that can help with this, glut and excel were suggested

- what does matricide 14 do?

- I understand I need root tabs for certain plants, like swords. Don't have any now, but plan to get some once I get what I have back on track

Appreciate any advice you can give me

Dry ferts that come in the form of salt granules....N-nitrogen= Kno3, P-phosphate=kh2po4, K-potassium=k2so4. I usually buy the PPS Pro fertilizer pack from green leaf aquariums. In a 55g tank these ferts will last you at least a year. The package also comes with your trace ferts ,CSM+B ...and 2 dosing bottles. Metricide 14 is glutaraldehyde,..A.K.A..glut....the main ingredient in excel, but twice as strong. You can find it on amazon for less than 25 bucks for a gallon,..which will last a long time.

Just read the instructions for the PPS pro. Just want to make sure I get it right. Add every day with lights off? Is this all you use? I currently add Florish, should I continue with this, or not necessary?

If you want the easy way. Flourish and api leaf zone daily.. add seachem excel for a carbon source. Root tabs irregardless of plants. Just stick them in a there and enjoy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That will work, ^^^ but its really hard to address certain deficiencies. Using the PPS pro system..tweaked here and there gives you total control of what nutrient you maybe lacking,..plus its very cost affective. It does last a long time....

One of the recommendations is to use Florish and Excel. They have a product called Florish Excel. Is this a combination of of the two products?

This is one of those times that one must read many many threads, Google stuff and read stuff.. all the keywords have been mentioned in this thread so have it man!!!

Flourish(made by seachem) has a lot of products. Usually flourish,..is flourish comprehensive, and excel is..well...flourish excel. Oh Brookster is right, there is tons and tons of info out there. A lot maybe conflicting info, however. Study up on the different dosing regimes for sure but the key to a great planted aquarium is co2. but,..baby steps!!!

Flourish(made by seachem) has a lot of products. Usually flourish,..is flourish comprehensive, and excel is..well...flourish excel. Oh Brookster is right, there is tons and tons of info out there. A lot maybe conflicting info, however. Study up on the different dosing regimes for sure but the key to a great planted aquarium is co2. but,..baby steps!!!

Nah man... I'm just being lazy.. i can say what worked for me.. pps pro modified for added phosphates and potas..metricide 14 at .4ml/gal.. co2... osmocote root tabs.. BUT. ..Each tank is unique so it's best to find what will work best for your specific setup. .plants, lighting, substrate, bio load.... besides . Look at thumper s freakin.. tank, I'd tell me to shut up;)

Back
Top Bottom