plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In general. I don't want to build CO2 system. But if it comes down to it I will. But I want to see if there are plants that don't need it?

In general. I don't want to build CO2 system. But if it comes down to it I will. But I want to see if there are plants that don't need it?
you never really need it,but in high light tanks it helps plants out compete aalgae

Alright. Well I just have the standard light that came with it. Its pretty bright but I bet there are brighter ones. I don't have lights on my other tanks though so I wouldn't know.

CO2 "need" is more based on how much light (not how "bright you perceive it") than what kind of plants. There are some aquatic plants that need high light (watts per gallon is the old way of measure). With high light, one needs CO2 to help the plants utilize the light and out compete nasty algae.

There is a thread posted somewhere here on this board with a pretty comprehensive listing of plants and their requirements. If you don't want to mess with CO2, then you need to stick w/plants that require "low light". I realize you feel your current light is "bright" but there is a LOT more to it.

I thought so. I've been reading alot about it since I've posted this. Thank you

What type of plants DON'T need CO2?

ALL photosynthetic organisms need CO2 for photosynthesis. It wil occur naturally in your tank as the water will stay at equilibrium with the concentration of CO2 in the air (~8ppm). That being said, like a few of the previous posters expressed, if you stick with low and medium light plants, co2 injection as supplementation will not be a requirement. Very few plants that we keep in our tanks actually NEED injection to survive -- even high light plants. But, when you cross a certain threshold of lighting, co2 injection becomes important not only for uptake by plants, but also for helping to stymy algae growth. There are techniques for keeping very high light tanks without injecting co2... Though I personally prefer the co2 injection route as a good system is very low maintenance and plants respond amazingly well to it.

So after all the replies, (and I thank you all for that) I've decided that I might as well just build a CO2 system. I'm probably going to get another light also. What types are good?

I'm probably going to plant my 75 gallon since its cleaned out right now. Then eventually my 32 gallon. But I'm not sure what kind of plants really, I want something colorful. And appealing. But I haven't really looked around enough. I'm probably going to put some java moss in it too.

Back
Top Bottom