plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiger terror

Aquarium Advice Addict
How many plants will adequately provide enough oxygen for eight cichlids(Malawi setup) in my 55g tank? Also started my co2 process last night& and for what I here I will have to airated during the night...

You might add an airstone for oxygen supplementation, and ideally you would turn off your co2 when the light are off because plants need oxygen during that time, another reason for an airstone.

Additional oxygenation is kind of a silly reason to add plants, imo. With the possible exception of warm tanks (85ish and above), you're better off just puting in an air stone or something along those lines. For the setup you listed, you will probably get plenty of oxygen just by atmospheric diffusion.

Took your advice&placed air stone back in the tank,trying to get as close to a natural habitat as possible..my cichlids love the lace rock&surprisingly don't bother the live plants...

Plants + fish from malawi are usually a no go. It's worse with Mbuna, but haps and peacocks will demolish plants too. I wouldn't depend on plants to do anything in a malawi tank.

Plants + fish from malawi are usually a no go. It's worse with Mbuna, but haps and peacocks will demolish plants too. I wouldn't depend on plants to do anything in a malawi tank.

yeah mbuna will destroy everything and rearrange the caves to their own liking i.e. they will move the sand or gravel to make it wider

Why are you having Oxygen troubles at all? If I could ask.

if u have a power head that stirs the water u shouldnt have any issues 4 oxigen, i have a koralia 3 on my 75 gal and i dont run an airstone and my filter its a canister and the return barely makes water movement and havent lost anyfish since 09 due to oxygen

Back
Top Bottom