Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex33

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm scared to get plants bc of snails!!! Should I ?

Snails are nothing to be scared of! They are part of the ecosystem your creating! I would say go for it!

I think I'm going to start out with a moss ball, is there anything I have to do before putting in my tank?

Moss balls are a great choice! They were my first plant. Good luck with them! I never did anything special to mine an it's doing great. Just be sure to pick a healthy one. Some of the ones I've seen looked pretty bad.

Think I got good one the waters not brownish green and it looks healthy!

I would say go for the plants. They help maintain water quality and if your worried about snails there are plenty of creatures that you can get for the tank that will eat them if they every get out of hand, but as mentioned before they can be and generally are a crucial part of the ecosystem in nature and they will help control your algae and some even clean up waste. I got a free horned nerite snail once on a plant he is still doing great in my tank. I also managed to get a nice little population of MTS from some plants.

Get some tubed plants from PetSmart/Petco. They are snail free. Just make sure you don't buy any semi-aquatic plants. Stick to Amazon/argentine swords, anubias and Java Ferns and you should be fine. They're low-maintenance plants that are common at stores and don't require special hardware to keep alive.

Zevyn said:
Get some tubed plants from PetSmart/Petco. They are snail free. Just make sure you don't buy any semi-aquatic plants. Stick to Amazon/argentine swords, anubias and Java Ferns and you should be fine. They're low-maintenance plants that are common at stores and don't require special hardware to keep alive.

I wouldn't get any tubed plants. The change from moist roots to fully underwater can kill them. And most of the tubed plants aren't aquatic as you said.

Moss balls are really a type of algae so be careful with the chemicals you use.

Yeah that'll be fine it shouldn't hurt your moss ball make sure to turn the moss ball periodically though so it gets even light and doesn't "marble" as they say. But moss balls tend to move around to find the spot they want to be in.

Back
Top Bottom