Plastic leaking chemicals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxw47

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am a little concerned. I am taking the first steps into switching to RO water. I am planning on having a trash can (13 gallons or so) filled with RO water and an air pump for storage. Should I worry about the plastic leaking anything? Because I know that many plastics have some pretty nasty stuff in them and I don't want that in my fish tanks at all. Anything I should look out for? Do any of you have success with a certain bin? Thanks!

I make up 10 gallons of RO at a time and store it in BPA-free 2 gallon water containers. I use it within about 3 days or so and don't areate it. Plus using them makes adding them to the tank really easy, no pump needed.

Thanks for the input! I heard that plastics rated 3, 4, and 7 are safe for food use, and anything safe for food use is safe for aquarium use. So, plastics 3, 4, and 7 are good for aquarium use. Does anybody agree or disagree with this?

We use food quality 55 gallon barrels.

We don't use RO/DI by the way. I know some of my fish are very sensitive to water changes due to the high pH from the tap. The water in the barrel gets to gas out over the week, then I use the barrel held water for those specific tanks.

Alright I'll just make sure that it is food safe and check the number. I'm so exited that I'm switching to RO. Now all I have to do is make some money! Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom