Plastic Plant Tanks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cpeluso

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After about five years, I sold my two mini-reefs (too much time, money and grief) and started a 29 gallon all-plastic-plant community tank. I've also tried planted tanks, but (IMO) they're as difficult and frustrating as reefs. I think there's something to be said for a (very) low maintenance tank. My equipment includes an Aquaclear 70, an inexpensive submersible UV sterilizer, heater and stock flourescent hood. I've decorated with a bubbling ceramic fish head and lots of plastic plants! My fish are all peaceful, schooling (and small!) rasboras, neons, and white clouds. I know it seems tacky, but I'm finally able to just enjoy an aquarium and not spend so much time working on it. If anyone out there is a fellow all-plastic-tank person, I'd love to hear your stories and see some photos. I'll post mine later.:)
img_999166_0_a978c08843864f73d3b7b8ec292063b4.

cpeluso_photo

My 30g long is pretty much a fake plant tank except for the Java Moss, but I'd hardly call it a plant, more like a weed the way it grows! I have slowly been turning to the planted side as I have been experimenting with live plants in my 10g. So far I have two swords that are doing well in playsand with root tabs.

I agree though, fake plants make life much easier! It really comes down to personal preference. My preference is to enjoy my tanks so I go for the low maintenance approach.

You can see pics if you click My Tanks in my sig and click Media on the left. You can see my 30g, 10g when it was all fake plants, and what it looks like now.

No lie- I was JUST wondering about doing that same thing with my 20 gal long!! I totally understand and appreciate where you're coming from and personally I don't think its tacky at all! And I'm happy for you that you enjoy it! I am finally now at the point of decorating and setting up my tanks the way I like (lol) and the way I will enjoy them! And I am enjoying them much more :) I would love to see pics of your tank!! Where did you get your plants from etc?

kee

I got most of my plants on sale at the LFS. I did pick up one bunch off a guy on craigslist. $5 for about 12 plants. I threw some out since they were some funky colors but I got about 8 nice plants out of the bunch. I haven't used any but my friend lives by them - silk plants - she says they look more life like since they move in the currents and they won't hurt your fish if they rub against them.

I think I may gradually switch my fake plants to silk if I can find enough of the ones I like. It seems like the only silk ones they make are some weird colors or just look too fake for my liking.

I have some friends that swear by silk as well. And they make their own! I guess they go to craft stores etc then mount leaves on plexiglass or plastic or something. It looks amazing I must say and very lifelike. I definitely am looking for a tall willowy plant for my hex, and then just not sure about 20. But I am so glad I came across the post.

kee

Back
Top Bottom