platy DID look pregnant...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDDad

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my new platies appeared to be pregnant just a couple days ago, just starting to square off a little...now, NOTHING. She never behaved in any odd way like I hear they do when giving birth, so I don't think she birthed and they were all eaten before I even saw them.

What I'm wondering is...did she miscarry?

When I did a 30% water change last night, she (and most of the other fish including Serpae tetras) stayed pretty much in the corner of the tank. Could I have scared her into a miscarriage??

BTW - if they're THAT scared by a water change, how do I avoid that? I don't want to stress the poor things to death!

Would she happen to be a young mother? Often happens with young moms. The pwc shouldn't have really caused an issue. I have had some Platy do the same thing, but I am thinking small # delivery and eaten by hungry mom?

Do you have anything floating around the top so the babies can hide?

Is your intake for your filter covered with a screen type material or sponge so little babies don't get sucked in?

The mom is young, she is barely an inch long.

I do have a small hornwort clump. Smaller than it used to be, because a lot of the needles shed, but it seems to have stabilized and started showing some new growth.

Good point about the filter.

My bumble bee platy drop pre mature fry [like 30!] that i found in the mosses and plants,and then almost 2 weeks later gave birth to 13 healthy fry!
She is not small...Sometimes they just do this...Floating plants,moss and a sponge prefilter at least will help with the fry.

Back
Top Bottom