Platy Eating Bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNewKids

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I've set up my tank over the last week and am doing an in-fish cycle.

All is going well thus far, ammonia is at 0, as well as nitrate and nitrite (tested using API master kit), PH is around 7.2

One platy however, seems to like eating the bubbles that come about from the filter. Is this normal behaviour? I've read that if the fish looks as if it's coming to the surface gasping for air, it may be due to ammonia poisoning, however, he simply likes swimming at the top and eating bubbles as they fall down and occasionally at the top. He seems to be swimming fine, no evident stress issues, and is otherwise fine, eating well, etc - and ammonia is at 0 as mentioned.

So is this normal for platys to like eating bubbles? lol

Oh, and we have one platy who likes swimming to the back and staring at her reflection as odd as it sounds. She also swims around happily and all eat well - any issues with that?

Our pregnant platy likes to lay low inside our plastic plants, could she be close to labour?

Sorry for all the questions, and we appreciate the response! We did a 50% water change yesterday, and 25% today - we've also re-added conditioner.

When is a good time to add salt crystals again? We've heard every third water change for the amount you take out?

Never hear a fish eating bubble before. Lack of oxygen? Do you have a air pump that you can use? If its not stress or anything it's prob just playing. My guppy play in the bubble wall dive in there and the filter too.

Never hear a fish eating bubble before. Lack of oxygen? Do you have a air pump that you can use? If its not stress or anything it's prob just playing. My guppy play in the bubble wall dive in there and the filter too.
As I've said, I read about the oxygen issue - however, they've become pretty hungry buggers over the past couple of days, and he'll honestly chase the bubble and either eat it, or realise it's a bubble and not food - I think it's more so he believes it's food as opposed to an oxygen issue (all levels are fine).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom