Platy either pregnant or bloated - mixed symptoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yesterday I moved my platy to an ad hoc emergency QT tank. She has had two batches of fry before. Both times the batch equaled two.

Her last drop was August 10, one of the fry didn't make it.

She is looking fat from the sides, but no drop. I think another of my platys is pregnant, so I put them in a breeding box at night - they always look fatter to me at night and they both have only given birth at night. I have never been able to identify a gravid spot.

The QT platy has always been shy and hangs out in the fake plants closer to the top. She will come out for food - especially if it is a pea.

Trying to get the fish into the breeding box is a nightmare. This girl seemed content once she was in there. I chose to put her in the made up QT tank because she seemed more at ease when isolated.

She didn't eat yesterday - I tried a small amount of pea, a very small amount of flake, and an 1/8 of a wafer. She did not respond to any so I extracted about half last night.

The QT tank is 1 gallon with no filter. I put a tiny amount of gravel for the fry to hide in if she has any. Also two fake plants from the regular tank. I have an air stone in there too.

Did a large water change today because of the no-filter. She still looks fat, but she recently had fry and I don't think it is long enough since then. Then there is the lack of appetite. She does the pregnancy dance, no scratching against anything, but after a moment, she goes back to hanging out. She does not hang out in a particular spot - not at the top or bottom, mostly just in the plant area. No rapid breathing.

BUT, I noticed she has long, stringy, thread-like poop kind of hanging on. I'm starting to wonder whether she has a parasite or is just constipated. The lack of appetite is what is tripping me up.

The water in the QT tank is pretreated with prime. I added a less than a drop of stress guard after the water change. Should I try treating for a parasite using a medicine? Should I try salt first? Clearly, I need to stop feeding her for a few days.

She is not pineconing.

Readings from the main tank - right before I transferred her to the QT were 0 ammonia, 0N2, 15-20 N3, and ph 7.9. Temp is 79. There is no heater in the QT, but it is very hot here.

Thanks for any input.

This is a good pic because you can see her from both the side and front with her bulging eyes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 73
This is the best pic I could get to show her width from above.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom