Platy Help Required

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice, if you do think of the name for the "balls" will you let me know please, I'm coming to the uk in November so could pick some up... I've already bought a new filter for my tiny fry tank and stocked up on new life spectrum flakes to bring back with me :)

Nice, if you do think of the name for the "balls" will you let me know please, I'm coming to the uk in November so could pick some up... I've already bought a new filter for my tiny fry tank and stocked up on new life spectrum flakes to bring back with me :)

They were Pure Aquarium but I cannot think of what the balls were actually called.

I'll be glad to get some more gravel so I can finish it off and actually look toward acclimatising the adults in there.

I'm just reading the articles on a fishless cycle on here and feel I really should have read these when I first had my initial tank months ago, so informative.

The one query I'd have is that it mentions using 'Pure Ammonia' to help cycle the tank, but it would appear this may only be available in the US. I have found 'Kleen Off' which is said to be fine for use but wanted to check what you used first.

I really want to make sure this tank is spot on before introducing the fish to it.

I'm just reading the articles on a fishless cycle on here and feel I really should have read these when I first had my initial tank months ago, so informative. The one query I'd have is that it mentions using 'Pure Ammonia' to help cycle the tank, but it would appear this may only be available in the US. I have found 'Kleen Off' which is said to be fine for use but wanted to check what you used first. I really want to make sure this tank is spot on before introducing the fish to it.

To be honest my first tank was cycled with fish in I had 3 koi so I did it the hard way, but they survived it for 2 yrs then I rehomed them to one of the parks over here, my smaller 80 litre I had the filter in my 200 for 3 weeks and then for a week used denitrol , which I presume is like the balls , and then my 25 I did the same placed the filter in the 80 and then did a week of denitrol, I asked over here initially for ammonia they looked at me gone out ! So my dad told me about fish in cycles , which I didn't like to do but koi are a tough fish so it was ok . I'm just in the process of helping my friend in the same situation , but this time he has my back up filter I. His rank and I have his new one in mine for 3 weeks then he can treat with denitrol for a week and get his levels checked at the pet shop and see how it goes. It's bad here they don't seem to think of anything as being alive ! It's only a dog , it's only a fish , that kind of attitude ... So when you go into buy fish they don't even ask how big your aquarium is or his long it's been running , nothing ! I've just sold some of my baby mollies and one guy wanted 10 so when he told me how big his tank was I sold him 6 ... And that was pushing it ! But he was adamant he wanted 10 ! But I got my way he left a little grumpy with 6 .

My 200 has been up and running for nearly 4 years so I know I must be doing something right ;) and my hubby is building me a 400/500 for my Christmas pressie :) oh happy day ..... Oh ..... More work ;)

People get the wrong mindset when owning pets I find. The guy you mentioned wanting 10 in what was presumably only a tank suitable for around 4 is a clear demonstration of that, he is being guided by what he wants as opposed to what would be in the best interests of the fish. I could have just left them all in the one small tank, but at the end of the day I wanted to ensure they were comfortable and actually enjoyed their time on earth for however long they live for so invested in the larger tank.

I have ordered some denitrol and will be using all the tips given in the articles on the forum. Will probably test the water on Saturday to see if it is yet suitable, if not I'll be praying that it is ok by the following Friday as that will be 28 days since the pregnant platy last gave birth...it may be slightly cramped in the small tank if she gives birth again!!

People get the wrong mindset when owning pets I find. The guy you mentioned wanting 10 in what was presumably only a tank suitable for around 4 is a clear demonstration of that, he is being guided by what he wants as opposed to what would be in the best interests of the fish. I could have just left them all in the one small tank, but at the end of the day I wanted to ensure they were comfortable and actually enjoyed their time on earth for however long they live for so invested in the larger tank. I have ordered some denitrol and will be using all the tips given in the articles on the forum. Will probably test the water on Saturday to see if it is yet suitable, if not I'll be praying that it is ok by the following Friday as that will be 28 days since the pregnant platy last gave birth...it may be slightly cramped in the small tank if she gives birth again!!

Good luck, I hope everything goes quickly for you, I've ordered some balls ;) denitrol is very expensive here, and you never know when you might get another tank :) ...and like you I feel that all my fish should have adequate room, I even mentioned to my hubby about turning the swimming pool into a new home for my Pleco, but he wasn't having any of it lol..bigger tank it is then ;)

If you have an established filter already, use some of the media from it and you can introduce one or two fish straight away. Keep a close eye on the water and you will be fine. Have you got your own liquid test kit??

If you have an established filter already, use some of the media from it and you can introduce one or two fish straight away. Keep a close eye on the water and you will be fine. Have you got your own liquid test kit??

How do I go about introducing the media? Is it a case of removing the filter sponge and giving it a squeeze? It's the one thing I've not risked trying yet as I'm unsure as to how best to do it.

I have the AP test kit to use.

How do I go about introducing the media? Is it a case of removing the filter sponge and giving it a squeeze? It's the one thing I've not risked trying yet as I'm unsure as to how best to do it.

I have the AP test kit to use.
Yeah, just get a jug, fill with some tank water and squeeze the 'old' sponge in it. Now pour the water(with any gunk) onto the new filter media. Run the filter as normal. Just to make you aware, this is not guaranteed to FULLY cycle the new filter but it will certainly kick start the process.
Ideally, it would be best to put some/all of the 'old' media into the new filter. Make sure it is touching the new media and this will transfer more BB and if enough sponge/media is used, it can FULLY the filter. Does this make sense??

Yeah, just get a jug, fill with some tank water and squeeze the 'old' sponge in it. Now pour the water(with any gunk) onto the new filter media. Run the filter as normal. Just to make you aware, this is not guaranteed to FULLY cycle the new filter but it will certainly kick start the process.
Ideally, it would be best to put some/all of the 'old' media into the new filter. Make sure it is touching the new media and this will transfer more BB and if enough sponge/media is used, it can FULLY the filter. Does this make sense??

It does make sense and I thank you for it.

The filter in the new tank is a Marina slim filter with the three 'replaceable' cartridges, so am I best soaking those in the old media and putting them back into the filter and kick starting it?

I really should have done this on Saturday in fairness.

It does make sense and I thank you for it.

The filter in the new tank is a Marina slim filter with the three 'replaceable' cartridges, so am I best soaking those in the old media and putting them back into the filter and kick starting it?

I really should have done this on Saturday in fairness.
Yeah that should work. It's just as simple as the 'old' and 'new' media touching. If you can store both together in the same filter, perfect....
For the first few weeks, it's very important to test the water daily. If you notice any Ammonia/Nitrites, do a large water change to lower the levels. I have done this numerous times and it has always worked. You will need to put one/two fish in straight away to produce waste to feed the BB otherwise they will start to die off.
Just thinking, what kind of substrate have you got in the 'old' tank??

Yeah that should work. It's just as simple as the 'old' and 'new' media touching. If you can store both together in the same filter, perfect....
For the first few weeks, it's very important to test the water daily. If you notice any Ammonia/Nitrites, do a large water change to lower the levels. I have done this numerous times and it has always worked. You will need to put one/two fish in straight away to produce waste to feed the BB otherwise they will start to die off.
Just thinking, what kind of substrate have you got in the 'old' tank??

Thank you, I'll certainly coat the new cartridges in the old media, I can't see any way of storing the old media with the new though, the size of the new filter doesn't really accomodate anything else being added to it.

I've been toying with the idea of adding bits of fish food on a daily basis.

In the old tank, there was a live plant which I have already transferred to the new tank together with a rock formation with I will be adding to the new. There is also gravel of course, which I could add and remove at a later time.

Thank you, I'll certainly coat the new cartridges in the old media, I can't see any way of storing the old media with the new though, the size of the new filter doesn't really accomodate anything else being added to it.

I've been toying with the idea of adding bits of fish food on a daily basis.

In the old tank, there was a live plant which I have already transferred to the new tank together with a rock formation with I will be adding to the new. There is also gravel of course, which I could add and remove at a later time.
Another method of transferring some BB is to use some gravel from the 'old' tank. Put as much as you can fit in the new filter. I know you say the new filter is tight for space but try this also or instead. Get a cheap, BRAND NEW pair of ladies tights(do they make mens??...haha) and cut the foot off one. Put some gravel in and tie it tight. Put this in the filter, anywhere is good but touching the new media is best, if possible. This will again, transfer BB to the new media. The good thing about this is, you can leave it in the filter permanently. You DON'T need to wash the gravel before adding it. If you go with either method or both, you will not need to add pure Ammonia.
These methods or similar are what other members are referring to when they say they cycled their new tank using there other tanks......

I think I may need to head to the store and purchase some tights...it's a good job I am not too self conscious!! :p

I placed the rock formation from the other tank in there last night, will squeeze the filter into there tonight and add some gravel when I possess some tights!

Right, interesting weekend, now have the two adult fish in the 60 litre tank and the fry are now loose in the 20 litre tank.

All seem to be thriving hoorah!

My next concern is the mother of the fry and her giving birth again. It is now 23 days since she gave birth and she seems to be swelling up nicely again, when should I get her in the breeder net? I don't want to miss doing it this time, but I don't want to put her in too early, it's difficult!

Here are pics of the two tanks now and the mommy fish. Be interesting to hear your opinions on when to place her in the net.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/Lilly_2004/20131020_182807_zpsd919323a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/Lilly_2004/20131020_182834_zpsb8d95ee0.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/Lilly_2004/20131020_182820_zps8d6fb031.jpg

She looks like she's starting to square. I would put her in about 3/4 days. Put her in just before lights out, It usually keeps stress to a minimum. Some fish just hate them, other don't seem to mind that much. I had one that didn't mind. Try and get the biggest one you can or use a new food container. The more space they have the less stressed they get.
In the third picture, what is that on the right hand side wall??

She looks like she's starting to square. I would put her in about 3/4 days. Put her in just before lights out, It usually keeps stress to a minimum. Some fish just hate them, other don't seem to mind that much. I had one that didn't mind. Try and get the biggest one you can or use a new food container. The more space they have the less stressed they get.
In the third picture, what is that on the right hand side wall??

Yeh I thought she was going square, will put her in Wednesday I think, I have a relatively large breeder trap so hopefully she will remain calm, ultimately she is my main concern not the fry, I want her to be alright.

It's a digital thermometer!!

Yeh I thought she was going square, will put her in Wednesday I think, I have a relatively large breeder trap so hopefully she will remain calm, ultimately she is my main concern not the fry, I want her to be alright.

It's a digital thermometer!!
Sounds good. The thermometer looks like one of those underwater cameras!!

I put her in the breeder trap last night right before lights out as recommended to attempt to reduce the stress, she has been good as gold in fairness. I am hoping the babies will come today whilst I'm at work so I can put her back in the large tank later, if not it will definitely be tomorrow, she is bulging now and extremely square.

Back
Top Bottom