Platy is preggy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squall

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just found out my female platy is pregnant :D. She is already gravid and I am starting to see the small fish eyes in her belly. This is my first time with a pregnant fish. She is staying at the bottom right now. It is a 10 gallon tank. Tank inhabitants are as follows, 2 platies, 6 neon tetras, 6 cory habrosus, 2 nerite snails, 2 ramshorn snails (stowaways) and a ghostshrimp. It is planted with 4 bunches of anubias, 2 bunches of java fern and a japanese moss ball.
What do I need to do? It looks like she is ready to give birth since she is not acting as usual and just staying at the bottom.

Platys are lifebearers which means they give birth to live fry not eggs, when the platy goes into labor, she will isolate herself amd stay near corners she also wont eat, she may look a little like a square. You really dont need to do anything just leave her alone and make sure the other fish are well fed so they dont eat the fry, make sure your tank had plenty of hiding spots for fry such as leafy vegetation.

Mine was swimming up and down frantically when she was about to give birth I then put her in a breeders trap thing. So you just make sure she doesnt eat her young !

Back
Top Bottom