Platy pregnancy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marlenew

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I am new here. I have a first time serious question. I have a platy that was/is?? pregnant. The reason I say that is there were these bubbles, that were a golden colour on the bottom of the hatchery when I looked at her today. She still looks pregnant, but I am afarid she may have "miscarried". She was due, but I don't see ANY fry, alive or not. I got her in the mail..yes bad idea, I have learned my lesson. She was in a little bag for 8 DAYS!! She has been fine up until now, and still is, except for this. If she did miscarry, wouldn't it be partailly formed fry? She was pregnant when I got her.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Marlene

Any chance your little hatchery is close to a airstone that would have bubbles getting in the hatchery and mixing with some extra food/poop etc?
If she had her babies there should be little ones in the hatchery swimming or even dead if she went through to much trauma but I don't think 1 platy could eat all her babies in one night so It sounds like she's still pregnant.

I have seen the little airstone bubbles, they are clear. I appreciate your thought, though! :) You made me feel a lot better, when you said she is probably still pregnant. I hope so!! :D

Marlene :?

:multi::pepsi: WELCOME TO AA.COM :pepsi::multi:
:pepsi:(y) The choice of a Newbie (y) :pepsi:
:smilecolros: Generation :smilecolros:

I doubt she "miscarried" as I don't know of a platy every doing that. Still born, yes, but they usually eat them before you know it happened.

I had a litter of premature guppies once. (I should clarify that it was one of my fish that had the litter and not me). They came out with big yolk sacks and couldn't swim very well. Some survived but are a little deformed.

I would guess that the little bubbles are not eggs and that your platy is still pregnant. After she "gives birth" she should be noticably thinner. I've sometimes been impatient waiting for the babies especially when the mother-to-be hates the nursery tank. Just be patient and be sure your platy is pregnant and not just chubby.

Back
Top Bottom