platy pregnant for ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turtle71

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello boys and girls, I managed finally to make usable pic from my I THINK pregnant girls.
Weird is that they are like this for three weeks now and still no fry.
Am I hallucinating? Who else sees the gravid spot and agrees with pregnancy?:cool:Finsy 3rd birthday 059 (640x480).jpg

Hey turtle! Is it squared off or roundish?
In my opinion it was like a marble last week and looks now more like a box. They are soooo big compared to the others.
That what I think gravid spot was redish and is now way darker.
And they are eating like maniacs.

Are they pooping? I'm not an expert by any means with these fish but I'm pretty sure rounded could be something bad like bloat or constipation, squared off is usually pregnant.

Are they pooping? I'm not an expert by any means with these fish but I'm pretty sure rounded could be something bad like bloat or constipation, squared off is usually pregnant.
yah poop is normal :)

aggressive angelfish

There is actually one more thing. My Angelfish which is still young and only half way grown is all of a sudden very aggressive towards the female platy. What is the matter with him?
They always got along well but since today he truly bothers me. Starting to wonder if that was really such a smart addition to my community.
He's the only angel in there and has tons of space to swim around :ermm:

There is actually one more thing. My Angelfish which is still young and only half way grown is all of a sudden very aggressive towards the female platy. What is the matter with him? They always got along well but since today he truly bothers me. Starting to wonder if that was really such a smart addition to my community. He's the only angel in there and has tons of space to swim around :ermm:
angel fish are cichlids so aggression can happen.. Hopefully it calms down? Maybe it sees the platy as a swimming buffet and it's just hungry?? Might need some more plants or dw to break up line if sight a bit???

Your Platys

Hello boys and girls, I managed finally to make usable pic from my I THINK pregnant girls.
Weird is that they are like this for three weeks now and still no fry.
Am I hallucinating? Who else sees the gravid spot and agrees with pregnancy?:cool:View attachment 225870

Hello Turt...

Livebearing female fish can hold their fry indefinitely until they feel conditions are right. Prepare the tank for them and the fry. Drop in as many stems of Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennywort as you can. These provide privacy for the female and hiding places for the fry. They also keep the tank water cleaner. You must keep the tank water pure with large weekly water changes. I'm talking half the tank's volume. Make the new, treated tap water a little warmer than what's already in the tank. 80 degrees is perfect. Add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of the new water. Feed a little frozen food every couple of days. This combination will definitely help the females get in the mood to drop their fry if they're in that condition.

B

Hello Turt...

Livebearing female fish can hold their fry indefinitely until they feel conditions are right. Prepare the tank for them and the fry. Drop in as many stems of Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennywort as you can. These provide privacy for the female and hiding places for the fry. They also keep the tank water cleaner. You must keep the tank water pure with large weekly water changes. I'm talking half the tank's volume. Make the new, treated tap water a little warmer than what's already in the tank. 80 degrees is perfect. Add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of the new water. Feed a little frozen food every couple of days. This combination will definitely help the females get in the mood to drop their fry if they're in that condition.

B
:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom