platy pregnant or aborted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gita1230

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My platy was definitely pregnant yesterday but I'm not sure if she still is. she was a little fat (I'm guessing first pregnancy they don't have too many fry) had a barely recognizable gravid spot (she's deep red so it's hard to see) and she was boxed out.... So I isolated her in a separate tank almost 3days ago with a couple of artificial plants and a rock with plenty of small holes for the fry to hide.... I've been checking on her every hour or so and I just noticed about 15 min ago that she is no longer as boxed out as she was (her front is more rounded now) she is still a little fat and you can still see a light gravid spot if u look closely.... So i checked the tank to see if there were any fry and I didn't see any... Do you she might have aborted or this normal and she's still pregnant? If she did abort will she still release the fry or will her body just absorb them? If she aborted is it because I did something wrong? I really would like ti have some fry and was getting really excited... If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it.. Thanks

Welcome to AA! As delapool asked, how is the platy today? Is the light on in the new tank? I found that my guppies did the same thing after being separated and lost their fry. I moved them as quickly as possible, kept it dark in both tanks when moving and made sure there were some plants/decor from the original tank and they let out their fry. Keep us updated!

<g.m.t.a>

Thanks for the welcome!!! I believe she aborted?... Lights were on when I moved her and I did have plants in tanks I think I may have stressed her when I moved her. She back in the big tank with my other fishes hopefully she be pregnant again soon.
I'm kinda new to breeding and I figured I'd start out with my platys first to see how I do. First attempt was a failure but I'ma keep trying ?.
Once I breed my platys I'ma try my gouramis... They're my favorite so far?

Thanks for the welcome!!! I believe she aborted?... Lights were on when I moved her and I did have plants in tanks I think I may have stressed her when I moved her. She back in the big tank with my other fishes hopefully she be pregnant again soon.

I'm kinda new to breeding and I figured I'd start out with my platys first to see how I do. First attempt was a failure but I'ma keep trying ?.

Once I breed my platys I'ma try my gouramis... They're my favorite so far?

Platies will be fun to breed :) Gouramis are hard to breed though (but also fun with their bubble nests ;)). Are you sure you have a male and female? It's hard to find a female but if you have good job!

<g.m.t.a>

Platies will be fun to breed :) Gouramis are hard to breed though (but also fun with their bubble nests ;)). Are you sure you have a male and female? It's hard to find a female but if you have good job!

<g.m.t.a>

Yes I have male and female the male keeps rubbing up against her and following her all over.... I have a separate tank ready for them with plenty of plants both grounded and floating and a nice little cave and rainbow gravel

Back
Top Bottom